Removing FileVault master password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlexQQQ, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AlexQQQ macrumors member

I forgot my FileVault master password and am trying to delete so I can replace with a new password (i don't have anything in there...).
    I did some web search and found out that I need to remove FileVaultMaster.cer and FileVaultMaster.keychain in my computer's main/Library/Keychain folder in order to do this.

I don't really know that much about unix commands. Took me an hour to figure out that I needed to go up with cd .. command (didn't know there were many keychain directories).

I fooled around and located the files but the terminal wouldn't let me remove them. it asked if i wanted to override root/admin and whatever i type in it either responds with a denial or just moves on and doesn't let me remove the files.

Not sure what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This Apple discussion page follow what you have stated, and may be where you got the info from. If your account is an admin account you should be able to move/delete the files in question. You may want to try to restart your machine as well. Also, the instructions say to turn off FileVault first for the accounts before doing these steps. You didn't mention if you had.