Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
EFI and SMC updates that have made my MBP far noisier than it was before the updates, at least I think it's them. Don't think any of the other updates would have interfered with it that much?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Specifically?

B

SMC Firmware update 1.5 Snow Leopard, it appeared after 10.6.8 was updated.

It's a bit over 2000 on idle, but it's a hell of a lot louder than it was before the updates, as well as going a lot higher after a few short minutes of doing very little, whereby before it never came on or was heard rarely. Now it goes manic after a few short periods. If it is that firmware update now causing these problems, please can you tell me how to get rid of it?
from here

EFI and SMC updates that have made my MBP far noisier than it was before the updates, at least I think it's them. Don't think any of the other updates would have interfered with it that much?
I guess you haven't monitored the temps and CPU usage and fan speed at several times to exclude the possibility, that it is not the firmware?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I have done all, honest.... but there's no way a MBP that's been working perfectly for nearly a year, only does this a minute after the updates are applied?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I still don't know which Mac this is.

I think it all depends on how Apple delivers the updates. If they are delta updates, reversing them will be very difficult.

That's why knowing which hardware revision this is would be very helpful.

B

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Sorry yes, they are SMC firmware 1.5, MBP EFI firmware 2,7, perhaps Thunderbolt software update, but doubtful, and I'm guessing security update 2012-001 1.1 wouldn't interfere, nor 10.6.8 v 1.1? Early 2011 MBP running i5 SL

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Is this me?

This CD cannot be used to return an Intel-based Macintosh computer's firmware to a previous version if a successful update has already been performed.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Is this me?

This CD cannot be used to return an Intel-based Macintosh computer's firmware to a previous version if a successful update has already been performed.

Maybe so. :(

I do know there is a hack to get the 2007 firmware on 2006 models so that they gain support for other CPUs and more RAM.

I can't find it now though.

B

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Maybe so. :(

I do know there is a hack to get the 2007 firmware on 2006 models so that they gain support for other CPUs and more RAM.

I can't find it now though.

B

So not fair.. Was really happy with this, and now I don't even want to use it anymore. It's just so distracting to work on. Why do Apple care if we revert back to a time we were 'happy' with it. The date is March 2011 stamped on the box, so I don't want to go back any further than that. Not too much to ask?!

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Well I thought they may be an option, but Apple won't allow it, so.... it's a no go unfortunately. Spoke to them this morning. Most unhelpful and warning of consequences etc., but I kind of expected that to be honest. They don't like reverting back to older firmware, '3rd party' as he put it, and you kind of have to live with their 'improvements'. A quick scan of the web says the EFI 2.7 is only meant for Lion as well, not SL.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Well I thought they may be an option, but Apple won't allow it, so.... it's a no go unfortunately. Spoke to them this morning. Most unhelpful and warning of consequences etc., but I kind of expected that to be honest. They don't like reverting back to older firmware, '3rd party' as he put it, and you kind of have to live with their 'improvements'. A quick scan of the web says the EFI 2.7 is only meant for Lion as well, not SL.

Then maybe you can monitor the temps, fan speed and CPU usage and find some correlation and then ask Apple to fix it, if it is tied to the newer firmware?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Then maybe you can monitor the temps, fan speed and CPU usage and find some correlation and then ask Apple to fix it, if it is tied to the newer firmware?

Only option now probably?
All the normal and usual things I've done on this for 10 months that have been pretty silent operations are now noisy and just an annoyance. I'm falling heavily out of love with my Mac

Nov 28, 2010
located
Only option now probably?
All the normal and usual things I've done on this for 10 months that have been pretty silent operations are now noisy and just an annoyance. I'm falling heavily out of love with my Mac

Okay, this is taking far too long now.

Tell us your reported temperatures of all the temps iStat Pro lists, then tell us the actual fan speed and then go to Activity Monitor and report back:
Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac.
2012_03_04_pA2_ActMonPROCESSES.png
2012_03_04_pA6_ActMonCPU.png

You cal also make screenshots and attach them to your next post?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Damn, that makes me want to pull it apart... what's on the right hand side below keys? Think it's that region

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I wasn't sure what that was showing as it was upside down, but the part under the keys, right of track pad, seems to be worst offender since update

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I wasn't sure what that was showing as it was upside down, but the part under the keys, right of track pad, seems to be worst offender since update

That would be your HDD.

EDIT: Cheap and easy to replace.

Is your HDD almost full? Are you running out of physical RAM and swapping out to disk?

B

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Says 238 available on a 320, so not really?

Why would the updates have interfered with it

----------

Directly below the keys is the ODD (look for the slot).

In line with the trackpad is the HDD.

Could something be rattling in your ODD?

B

a hand over the right hand side dampens the sound yes??

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
a hand over the right hand side dampens the sound yes??

By over you mean? Palmrest? Covering the ODD slot?

If the slot I'd say blow out your ODD (gently) with compressed air.
If palmrest, I'd still suspect the HDD.

The fan is in the center of the back and is most audible at the hinge.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.