Removing folders from time capsule backups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drtanz, May 3, 2013.

1. drtanz macrumors member

I just removed a folder from the backup settings of time machine, backing up to my time capsule. Since that folder contained a lot of GBs, will that folder now be also removed automatically from backups stored on the time capsule, and free up the space?

2. laudern macrumors 6502a

No. As that would defeat the purpose of a time machine backup...

3. drtanz thread starter macrumors member

I see, so how do I go about removing that folder from time machine, as it's eating up valuable space that could be used by more necessary backups from other machines.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can exclude folders from being backed up, but there's no supported way of removing them from prior backups.

5. drtanz thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I should just delete the old backups on Time Capsule or will they eventually be removed automatically after some time?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't need those folders backed up, and they're consuming too much backup space then delete the entire backup and start a new backup.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Time Machine will purge oldest data first as your Capsule gets low on space. As @MAFlynn said there's no way to selectively remove data. You could delete the backup and start fresh, but IMO there's no benefit in doing so. Even though your current backup set is not optimized, it exists... SOME info is backed up prior to today, which would not be the case if you start over. So just let it run, Time Machine will handle the housekeeping.

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Agree...

One of the best benefits of backup is to protect you from human induced inadvertent deletion.

Just let it run... it will sort itself out if it needs the space.

/Jim

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When I fill up a TM drive, I usually remove it from the backup process and start using a new one. My data is worth more than the cost of a drive.

10. drtanz thread starter macrumors member

We're talking about time capsule here which makes it slightly different.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's still an option though. Plug an external USB drive or SATA dock into your Time Capsule, and "Archive" the backup off to it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281