Removing Hard Water Spots?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Scott-n-Houston, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I have the black SS, and on the bottom side of the 'glass' (sapphire crystal) I have water spots from hard water.

I've seen ways to remove hard water spots on glass with vinegar, etc, but is that ok for the watch glass?
    Has anyone else dealt with this?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First sapphire is NOT glass, it is ....well sapphire.;) Second the spots are likely in the oleophobic coating if they will not rub/clean off. The coating can be removed using isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel.

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's crystal... I know. :) But good points.
    I'm not sure if they're on the coating or the crystal itself. It's not much different than getting them on your car windows I suspect, but I am concerned about removing that coating I guess. I like the coating, so I may just live with them for now.
    They're hard to see unless I'm in the right light and even then, they're not in the center but mostly at the bottom.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Dont tell people how to remove the coating. That's just irresponsible. OP, take it to Apple,

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good advice. Made me think, "duh".
    I was just hoping for some quick fix at home before fighting the Apple Store crowds during this season. :)

6. Dodgeman, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

Dodgeman macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Wow. I used alcohol on my last watch tons of times! By doing this I was stopping the coating?
    I'll make sure to only use water on my new Watch!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2016 ---

Think the Windex Electronic Wipes will destroy the coating?

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't speak for Windex cleaner. But I would stick to simple cleaning methods before using anything other than what is specified.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There was another thread where the AW owner was reporting and even showing what looked like to be bubbles on the surface of the Watch face near the bottom, could be the same here. Hard to tell without images.

9. Julien, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The oleophobic coating wears off in time anyway so it is no big deal. Also it is much softer than sapphire and is the source of most 'scratches' seen on :apple:Watch sapphire crystals. Plus you can easy replace it (and you will 'need' to anyway in time if you think it is important to you).

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682

If the spots are mineral deposits (hard water) that will not clean off they they are in fact imbedded in the oleophobic coating. And if actually on the sapphire then the oleophobic coating has already been compromised or removed (at least where the spots are).

10. Dodgeman macrumors 6502

I'll use water, but those wipes are made for electronics.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you removed the oleophobic coating and didn't know it then that shows how 'important' it is (NOT). ;) I don't really care for it that much myself. It makes fingerprints look a little too 'greasy' and glossy.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I have never used electronic wipes, so I can't contest to the usage. I simply resorted to a microfiber cloth, which Has suited me every time with the Watch.

13. Brandon Hobart macrumors member

Brandon Hobart

Try cleaning it with a deodorant, perfume or an alcohol... Perfumes wipes off every type of spots from the mobile screens...

14. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Water spots were deposited with water, so they should remove easily with... water.

That's what I've begun thinking over the last few years, anyway. Whatever solvent was depositing the contaminants is just as good at taking the contaminants away.

Wash it again and wipe it dry. Maybe do it a couple times. DON'T LET IT AIR DRY. If you've tried this already, maybe move on to something besides water.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Especially you have hard water or using tap water, those spots would be more difficult to clean off.

17. Gabrielanicolao macrumors member

Gabrielanicolao

I think using a simple cleaning method is more reliable then using other way which you have never experienced before. Also I know that using hard water or tap water it take time to get clean.