Removing icon text on desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Feek, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Feek macrumors member

Feek

I have just two icons on my desktop, like this.

[​IMG]

That's all very nice, but I'd rather there was no text under them and that they looked like this.

[​IMG]

I'm sure you'll agree that it looks much prettier, but of course it's a mockup.

Can I do this for real without using the trick of renaming the drives to be *space* ?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It seems to work. So, it's not just an appearance issue? What's the problem with using "space" and "space space"?

3. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

Because they look like this when highlighted...

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm picky, but that looks rubbish to me.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Maybe? Whatcha mean, maybe?? Yeah, you're picky! :p

I suppose you don't like the gray background either, eh? How would you like it to indicate something is highlighted?

I just don't understand why so many people want to fiddle with things like this. Maybe nothing better to do???

5. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

you don't need icons on your desktop. take them off.

(now i'm not sure but there might be way... I DON"T KNOW but when I get home I'll look into it.)

6. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

I just don't understand why so many people want their system looking exactly the same as default, maybe they're not creative enough to want to change things to look the way they want them...

See, it works both ways :)

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Something may work both ways, but I don't agree that creativity is the engine that drives the desire to change the appearance of your computer screen, nor is lack of same the driving force behind leaving good enough alone. I suspect that most of the "changers" are younger and probably still in school. Priorities change.

8. Feek thread starter macrumors member

Feek

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I certainly don't fit into your demographic by nearly 30 years!

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok. And I did say most, not all, of course.

Post back if you find a solution that satisfies you. Someone else (much younger?) might be looking for the same effect.