Removing icons from menu bar (CMD+drag doesn't work)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wiffle, Jul 17, 2017.

1. wiffle macrumors regular

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - mods please move it to the right category as required.

A stubborn app has a menu bar icon that is frankly unnecessary and I'm a bit OCD about what's on there.... I keep the app open as it's a messaging app (LINE app) but hate the green colour of the menu bar notification and am wondering how I can get this darn thing off?

There is no setting in the preferences section to turn off the menu bar icon, nor does CMD+drag work (doing so brings up a cannot remove sign).

Any thoughts? Thx!

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Have you contacted the developer of the app? The app will control of what it displays.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.macbartender.com

If you cannot find a way in the app settings to get rid of it, there is an app called Bartender that will allow you to manage menu items like that and hide them in a second row.

4. wiffle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks @Weaselboy , this is what I was looking for. Cheers.

edit: appears a bit buggy on Sierra but it's the best solution I can find thus far. Sometimes the bar gets pixelated a bit... oh well, minor inconveniences.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I've been using it on Sierra since the Sierra release and I don't see that at all here. You might check with the developer and see if they have any ideas.