removing identifiers of previous owner

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whatevs, May 1, 2010.

1. whatevs macrumors member

hi everyone, I bought a used imac recently and wanted to have a clean install from the previous owner.

I wiped the drive with disk utility, and reinstalled snow leopard from the restore discs. however, I still see their name lingering. For example, when I click the blue tooth icon in the menu bar, it says "Their Name's Mouse".

I figured out how to change the hostname via terminal.
    I'm just surprised that these identifiers remained after a system restore.

Is some data stored on Apple's servers and brought back from earlier registrations into the mac?

thanks for your help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The mouse name is in the mouse I guess, it sends it when connected.

You could do a zero-pass erase to remove everything from the HD

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe that information is stored on the device i.e. the mouse.

Doing a clean install will remove any reference to the previous owner that is stored on the actual harddrive. During the set up it is possible via your Apple ID for the machine to bring down some information from apple's servers but you would've had to actively sign in to the old owners account.

4. whatevs thread starter macrumors member

thanks. I was able to find the "old name" in the bluetooth settings and change the name of the mouse.

I was mostly curious since even the defined computer name remained after I erased the harddrive.
    I didn't sign in to the old users account. I basically erased the harddrive immediately after setting up the computer.

thanks again for your help.