Removing individual keyboard key on 2017 TB MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Mar 30, 2018.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

2017 15'' TB MBP.

My "B" button occasionally does not work. It will either give a false negative (press button, does not register press); or false positives (press bbutton...there, it just did it...and get more than one press).

This happened a month ago and resolved on its own. Now it's back.

All other buttons are ok.

Any way to remove the individual button cap to inspect it? I don't want a "genius" ripping my laptop apart.

2. robvas macrumors 68030

Use a guitar pick and pop it off starting from the middle of the TOP side of the key. If you pry from the bottom or sides you can break the hooks on the keys.

Also, when you put they key back on, slide the bottom part on first, then push down. If you break the hooks on the keys you will have to buy new ones. You might have some substances under there that are gumming it up, clean the underside of the key with a swap and rubbing alcohol
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2018 ---
    Here's a picture of the key, I highlighted the shape of the 'hooks'

bfly.png

3. alex00100 macrumors 6502

YYeah it's not hard to do, you can find videos online. It takes a little big of force to get them off, don't be scared. But in my case it didn't help there was no dirt there, yyet I get these double y and it's driving me insane.

4. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

I've been through the very same keyboard issue (double "b" presses), it won't resolve on its own. Even if it does, it's just going to come back later. If it's a 2017 model, then it's still under warranty, so I see no reason not to get it serviced. Get a new keyboard.