Removing individual keys on a uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eshyn, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Eshyn macrumors member

I was just looking for a definitive answer on whether or not it is possible to remove individual keys on a uMBP without opening it up and dissecting the innards. I have one key (delete) that I'd like to pop off to clean.

Thanks.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yes you can. Just pop your thumb underneath the closest-to-spacebar end of the key and lift, it should pop out. You can just push it back into place to fix it.

3. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

So by closest to spacebar you mean the bottom left corner? And by delete I meant the backspace key.

4. Switz213 macrumors 6502

He means just the bottom of the key.

5. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

6. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

So I've just been to one independent repair center and called another. Both informed me that if I want to replace any of my keys I'd have to replace my whole keyboard and thus, the top case.

I've seen the video on Youtube of an individual letter key being removed from a uMBP. Is the delete/backspace key attached differently somehow? I only wanted to bring it in (after they told me via email they'd be able to remove the individual keys and replace them) to have a professional do it for me. I'm afraid if I attempt it I will break the little scissor mechanism under the key (which is the part I believe is causing the stickiness).

Are they just giving me the run around, hoping I'll pay $225 for the service?

All I want is to get my backspace key off so that I can just clean it a little.

Thanks.

7. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Finally popped off the keys myself and cleaned them; all is fixed now.

One thing I noticed though is that underneath the delete key, the rubber nub had a slight tear in it. Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I just stop being neurotic and move on with my life? I just want to know if I should be concerned with the tear getting bigger and thus rendering the key useless. I don't feel that it will as I think the only movement to cause the tear to grow would have to be lateral.

Thanks.

8. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Not a direct answer, but a related suggestion

Incidentally, why not consider a keyboard protector? Pretty much eliminates the need to clean the keys or the gunk that falls between the cracks and lies dormant underneath as the protector pretty much traps it all. Also helps the lettering stick on longer without direct contact with finger oil swiping over them so much over time -- improved resale value.

9. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

I'd definitely like to try one. What's considered the best brand? Moshi?

Right now I'm just hoping my poor little rubber nub (lol) doesn't tear any further!

10. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hmmm. I don't recall where I got mine, but my MBP's keyboard is still pristine some 2 1/2 years later and did indeed catch all sorts of dirt/grime and the occasional small spill. I see keyboard covers going for about $20ish online, so it's not a large investment but one that seems to more than pay for itself over time -- especially with preserving value at resale time. Someone here might have better suggestions for specific manufacturers.

11. vant macrumors 65816

Keyboard covers are a bad idea.

Heat naturally rises from the keyboard area with no fans to assist. Placing a keyboard cover will insulate this portion of the laptop. It also reduces the surface area of the aluminum.

Here are some real life experiences:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791186

12. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

That's a fair point. Though, in my case, I'm hoping for retained heat to induce the 8600M GT into breaking before June 2010 to save some serious cash. :D