Removing iOS8 Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by onlycopunk, Sep 19, 2014.

1. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Probably been discussed at length before, and I've tried many different methods, but I cannot for the life of me get iOS8 beta off my 5C!

I've tried the Software Update on the phone, it downloads the file then just stops. I've manually downloaded the IPSW file, it says not compatible, I've tried downgrading to iOS 7, it says the same thing with the IPSW file. It just wont work. Whether my phone is recovery or not.

I think I know why, it's because a friend convinced me to install the beta on my phone with his developer account. Now I've been reading that the only way the phone can be updated is through the developer's iTunes. It's not convenient for me at all to visit him anymore to get this updated.

How do I do this on my own?! I'm racking my brain. Any ideas

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Removing iOS8 Beta

If even in recovery mode it's telling you that it's not compatible, then you need to check your hosts file. Remove any reference to gs.apple.com

Close iTunes and then re-open and re-attempt the restore.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should be able to restore as usual, or through recovery or DFU mode. If you downloaded an install file and it says it's not compatible then it's possible you didn't get the right one for the model of the phone you have.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Here's the Apple Support web page:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Here's the iPhone wiki that explains some of the rationale:
    http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Apple's site explains the steps you need to load the new firmware onto your iPhone. It's really quite simple. You'll power off your iPhone, put your iPhone into DFU (device firmware upgrade) Mode, connect the iPhone to iTunes, and iTunes will either load the GM release or download the GM release and install the GM release.

You can then restore the iPhone as a new device (which is what I usually do) or restore from a backup. I STRONGLY recommend against using a backup from one of the iOS Betas. There you go, QED.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Backup your data, put the phone into recovery mode and let iTunes download the file. it will pick the right one, verify it etc. then restore your backup

6. onlycopunk thread starter macrumors 6502

The gs.apple.com trick appears to have worked!

Thanks!