Removing iPhone 3.0 OS Beta from an iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MattB718, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MattB718 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to actually pull this off?
    After I pressed Shft+Restore, and choose the appropriate firmware, the iPod restored itself. However when the iPod then booted back up into my iTunes, it's still under OS 3.0 Beta and not 2.2 (which I restored it to)
    Does anyone have any helpful tips?

2. Topper59 macrumors member

Taken from endgadget:

How did installation go? From Miqal
    Running it on a non-jailbroken device, it went smoothly. Took about as much time as your traditional restore. Just be warned: from what I've been hearing, once you go to 3.0, you can't go back to 2.0. (Apple must have changed some of the baseband firmware or something, no real surprise.) Update: been hearing it IS possible to go back to 2.0 from 3.0, but be warned, it could require some baseband hacking and god knows what else, so it'd be wise to prepare for the worst.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

4. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

when was 2nd gen ipod mentioned in the OP? how about replacing quicpwn with redsnow? :rolleyes:

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

You don't need quickpwn to get an iPod 2G back to 2.2.1. All I had to do was put mine in DFU mode (not recovery mode!) and option+click Restore in iTunes. It worked just fine. ;)

As far as I know, the reason it doesn't work on the iPhone is due to the baseband being upgraded. Since the iPod has no baseband to worry about, it's not a problem.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I successfully downgraded my iPhone 3G from 3.0 Beta to 2.2.1. Instructions are on Big Boss just Google.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPod touch isn't nearly as complex as the iPhone. Just go into DFU mode and option-click restore (Mac) or shift-click restore (PC). Piece of cake.