Removing iPhone 3GS data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newmacfan7, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newmacfan7 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has successfully removed the iPhone 3GS data plan? I did some research and it seems that some people have succeeded removing their iPhone 3G data plan by switching to another phone (I'm assuming that after you remove the data plan you can switch back to the iPhone...).

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

3. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

Theres no difference at all between the 3gs data plan and the 3g data plan, they're the exact same thing. But i'm pretty sure they've gotten smarter when it comes to switching out sim cards and having a data plan stopped, they can tell what phone you're using....plus you dont want to end up like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7d7ji7aAo

I'd rather pay the 30 dollars a month than have to pay almost 5 grand. Granted this was an accident while trying to change a text messaging plan, still the same thing. No data plan is a bad idea

4. newmacfan7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some reading and apparently something is going to happen Sep 6th...? I was unable to find anyone who removed the data plan (by switching to another phone) and afterwards switching back to the iPhone. Does anyone have any experience with that? Will ATT add back the data plan if you switch back to the iPhone?

I don't anticipate any issues without a data plan. They used to be an option to turn off data on the ATT user page. You can also manually disable 3G/EDGE via Bossprefs.