Removing items from system preferences???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jotadeo, Apr 18, 2007.

1. jotadeo macrumors regular

A couple of Qs:

How can I get rid of an icon in System Preferences? I was using an old USB wireless antenna (802.11b) that I had found a hack for. Now I'm using a Belkin USB wireless antenna (802.11g). The icon for the old antenna is still there even though I'm not using it (probably so it can be used again without having to be reinstalled each time). Is it possible for me to get rid of that?

Also, the name for the antenna is long and overlaps the names of the items on either side. Can I change the name of something that appears in System Preferences?

thanks for the help!
    jdo

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Check for it in Hard Drive > Library > PreferencePanes

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

If you right-click on a preference pane, you get the option to remove it (but only for third-party stuff, of course).

--Eric

4. jotadeo thread starter macrumors regular

That's The Answer! I saw that earlier, but I didn't know if that was it or not and certainly didn't want to dump it without being sure of what I was doing. Thanks!!!

Good to know, Eric5h5. So, should I have not just moved the prefPane file straight to the trash? What I did was place a copy of it on my desktop in case something was off, such as that not being the right file (I wasn't sure cuz it was generically named "Wireless Adaptor.prefPane"), and then I moved the original from the PreferencePanes folder to the trash. It seemed to have worked but will there be remnants of this file left on my HD? I'm sure it would be some tiny file, but I'd like to keep things as clean as possible.
    jdo