Removing Items from the System Preferences Page

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacGotMe, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MacGotMe macrumors newbie

Hi All -

I'm brand new to the Mac and the OS X operating system, so please excuse the question, but I just installed a "new preference" item called Precipitate which extends the spotlight to allow you to search your Google Docs, and I'm realizing that I don't use Spotlight all that much, so I'd like to remove the Precipitate option.

Can anyone provide me with some info on how to do this? I cannot just drag it to the trash (I can't drag it anywhere).

If any of you use Google Docs (and spotlight), you might want to check out Precipitate.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....open up your System Prefs application, then right-click (or control-click if you're using a single button mouse) on the pref you want to ditch - you should see the option to remove it.

Alternatively, you should find the file in either ~/Library/PreferencePanes or /Library/PreferencePanes/ and you can delete it from there....oh yeah!

3. 204467 macrumors 6502a

If you don't want the app, to uninstall, you just drag the app from it's location into the trash. To get rid of its preference pane, right click it and select "Remove [app name] Preference Pane".

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

For uninstalling just about anything, I'd recommend AppCleaner. It does widgets, apps, prefpanes, and plugins.