removing jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CBillups1, Mar 14, 2014.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

how do i go about removing the jailbreak while preserving all the info on my iphone 5?

im on iOS7, recently had issues with my camera not even turning on and want to get rid of my jailbreak anyways.

do i just plug it into the computer and back it up then restore?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can only remove a jailbreak by restoring it via iTunes.

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

yes, so do i just plug in the phone to back up everything currently on it and just click restore?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes.

5. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

can i also just update through the phone and it will erase the jailbreak or no? :confused:

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've heard of cases where updating a jailbroken phone can make it unbootable. It's probably best to restore.

7. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

well when im doing it through itunes its doing an update as well and theres no option to not update

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nermal is correct. Clicking the Update button in iTunes will render the device not bootable. You must click the restore button. When restoring, iTunes will download and install the latest version of iOS. In this case, iOS 7.1. If you are running an older version of iOS, iTunes will prompt you if you want to restore and update it after you click the restore button, select yes.

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

back it up and restore. you'll have all your data and no jailbreak.

(this is assuming restoring from a backup doesn't retain jailbreak, it's been awhile)

10. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

11. mrwamck macrumors member

That seems strange...
    I was on 7.0.4 with JB and thought I would update to 7.0.6 so without thinking I did a backup and clicked on Update. The update went through its stuff and the iphone booted and I checked and it was on 7.0.6 but no JB. Hummm I thought did I just screw up my iphone. So I downloaded the lastest Evasi0n and ran it, also without thinking. Anyway, I got a msg that the iphone was already jailbroken. Hummm I thought again. No Cydia or tweaks that I had so I ran it anyway and got msg that I shouldn't Jb a Jb but I did it anyway. The JB goes through its stuff and after reboot I see Cydia my tweaks and stuff and all worked like I hadn't done anything. The only icon/app missing was The music icon. I guess I was lucky or something. I was then going to do the same with my other iphone but then 7.1 was out and apple stopped signing 7.0.6 so that iphone is still on 7.0.4.

12. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I would say that you were just lucky.

I have found that evasi0n reporting the device as already JB typically means the device was Updated instead of Restored.