Removing Launchpad icons in Lion GM.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Markleshark, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Afternoon all,

So been trying to remove unwanted icons from Launchpad in the Lion GM build and the ctrl, alt, cmd and click just opens the application. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    Mark.

2. PBP macrumors 6502

PBP

Hold the alt/option key then the icons start to 'wiggle', then press X.
    Works only with Appstore apps!

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

So I can't remove all the apps that are already installed in my Applications folder?

4. PBP macrumors 6502

PBP

Nope not at this time :( , its a mess if you have programs like Adobe or Office (uninstall icons :rolleyes: )

5. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Which I do, and was what I was looking to get rid of. Oh well, folders it is then. Thanks for your help.

6. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Contrary to many others, I really like Launchpad overall, but am concerned about some issues.

One issue is the inability to remove non appstore icons from launchpad. Seems like whatever methods worked in older versions don't work with the GM. Kind of annoying to have some of the icons that come along with Office 2011 that you can't get rid of.

The other issue is that there is no keyboard function key or other keyboard shortcut to launch launchpad. You can use keys to run mission control and dashboard without a problem, but there aren't any options for launchpad, which to me seems like a huge oversight. You can Use ESC to leave launchpad, but no function key or other combination to launch it.

Another issue is swiping. In general, the GM has trackpad swiping set by default to a backwards or inverted way of swiping. Allegedly this is supposed to be better, and you can easily turn it off in trackpad preferences, except that it doesn't impact launchpad, which is set to always swipe "backwards" and can't be changed (from what I can tell).

There are trackpad gestures to launch launchpad, but it really needs a function key option IMO.

7. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Not by default, no. But you can set one in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Not true. Launchpad swipes exactly like it should. It follows the regular scroll direction. If I set scrolling to follow my finger, swiping left makes the icons go left. If I set it to scroll like scrolling SHOULD work, scrolling left makes them go right.

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

is there any way to simply remove launchpad altogether? I really don't see any practical use for it that can't be dome better via the dock. Plus it is dangerous that if you remove the icon on certain apps, it uninstalls your app. That is fine for the simplicity of an iphone, but come on guys . . .

9. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

10. Pogopuschel macrumors member

If you go to your touchpad settings you can see that launchpad is assigned to "pinch with thumb and 3 fingers". Personally I think that's pretty convenient and better than a keyboard shortcut.

In general I like the idea of launchpad. What kills the experience for me is that no keyboard shortcuts are working within launchpad. For example, if I press "A" I would want launchpad to jump to and highlight my Adobe programs. It just takes way too long to scroll and look around launchpad with your mouse only. I'll stick with Spotlight or Applications folder to launch my apps with keyboard, sorry Apple, this is not polished at all.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think I would love launchpad over all, BUT I need to remove icons from it that I don't want. Right now I have duplicates of a lot of the default apps. No way to get rid of them. Also I want to remove the apps that I don't use often, thus the top 10 or 20 apps I'd leave in launch pad, the rest in the normal apps folder. So far, it's not quite there.

12. zurie macrumors newbie

AlfredApp blows Launchpad out of the water... Launchpad is useful for showing off but for functionality its completely useless... so i have to scroll through pages of icons and folders trying to find my app??? 2 steps backwards, 0 steps forward.

I'd rather hit a hotkey and type the first 2 letters of any app i want and it instantly launch...

http://www.alfredapp.com/

13. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Set one yourself... ;)

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Launchpad & Dock

[​IMG]

14. firewalker746 macrumors newbie

LaunchPad is just sad

I actually can't believe Apple would release something so half baked. I've found a number of issues,
    1. Tons of Duplicate entries
    2. Can't delete icons except for Apps purchased at the App store. For most of us that's a very small percentage of our installed apps.
    3. Cant name or rename folders
    4. Scrolling does not inherit the options from the rest of the system. You get inverted no matter how the rest of the system is set.

I could see using this as a more extensive Dock but it's just plain weak. Overall Lion has some amazing new features but LaunchPad is amateurish, and incomplete. Apple should have just left this out.

15. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I can name / rename folders I create in the LaunchPad without any issues?

16. Johnbmtl macrumors newbie

Removing Apps from Launchpad

If you want to remove apps from Launchpad, then delete the apps from your Application folder or wherever they may be.

If you have duplicates in Launchpad, it's because you have duplicates on your computer.

17. Johnbmtl macrumors newbie

1) Duplicate entries means you have duplicate copies of the app on your computer.

2) To delete icons, delete the app in your applications folder or wherever else it may be.

3) To rename the app folder: open the folder and double click on the the name. Then type the name you want to give to the folder. EXACTLY like on the iPhone iPad.

The only thing amateurish here is someone downloading unreleased software then being critical because he hasn't figured out how to use it.

If you aren't going to take the time to figure it out yourself , wait until it's released.

18. endless17 macrumors member

fully agreed. i pulled Launchpad from my dock and swapped keyboard shortcuts to make CMD + Spacebar the default for Alfred. it's ridiculously good as a launcher, and even better with the powerpack features.

19. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

While we're on the topic, may I recommend AppCleaner. I find it indispensable.

http://www.freemacsoft.net/#

As for app launching, you can launch any app quickly through Spotlight.

Keep in mind some users will appreciate the visual features of Launchpad, including those who are more familiar with iOS than they are with OS X.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

App removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. Most of them only remove a few small files, such as .plist files, but leave behind much larger files. For more information, read this.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

22. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I use QuickSilver to launch Apps quickly for me. It works great.

23. robbo2011 macrumors newbie

How to delete unwanted icons from Launchpad

I removed a java app from the machine by dragging it to the trash from the applications folder.

the icon was left behind in Launchpad. When I clicked on the icon, it said something to the effect of "This app is in trash, to start it, drag it from the trash..." So I emptied the trash.

Then I held the mouse button down on the icon, wiggle mode started and the welcome black cross appeared on the unwanted icon. Click on the cross, and bingo, away it went.

So it appears that the way to kill unwanted apps is:
    - move the app to trash
    - empty trash (or cmd-backspace to kill the single item)
    - enter wiggle mode in Launchpad and kill the icon

24. dan.utinske macrumors newbie

Launchpad Icon Issue

I've spent the past several days trying to find a method to delete the non-Apple icons from Launchpad. I'd like to use Launchpad as primary method to open programs but the clutter and disorganization it generates isn't worth the effort and adds frustration. If I wanted frustration I would have stayed with Microsoft. This wasn't well thought out before being distributed and is severely limted in scope and capabilities. If I can't delete unwanted icons and de-clutter Launchpad it becomes worthless. I've tried all the different suggestions including the complete wipe using Terminal without success and I'm at wits end on screwing with it any longer, I'll just remove Launchpad from my dock and ignore it.

25. oursblanc macrumors newbie

Launchpad uses a db file sitting in the Library that can be edited using sqlite3.

You can get rid of any and all icons that way, at least.