Removing MacBook lid?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Azukius, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Azukius macrumors newbie

So, I have a 2009 unibody laptop with a very dead screen. I want to remove the lid so I can use it as a keyboard/computer with an external screen. I like the trackpad/keyboard otherwise I would just run it in clamshell. Does anyone know thebest way to do this? I have a suspicion that the wireless receiver is in the lid, so is there anyway to still have wifi working?

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

It would be much easier to bring it to apple and see if they'll fix it for you than creating a frankenputer. When you do your own work, there's a much higher chance of failure/something catastrophic happening to you and or your computer. This is mitigated if you are a professional, but judging by your post, you're not because if you were you'd already know how to do it... I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that it seems like quite an undertaking, and you might not be up for it. have you already tried to get it replaced?

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Erm you did read 2009?? That means out of warranty, apple will charge for the repair unless he has apple care which I highly doubt because he would not be posting here in the first place asking how to take it apart. The screen, labour and vat makes it just under £200 GBP from apple I know this from my 3 new screens which I first got replaced in the 1 year warranty period.

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

He could have applecare... Even so, he might get a sympathetic genius who will replace it anyways. It never hurts to ask, and if you never ask, the answer will always be no.

6. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Me and a friend went into apple about a month ago he has the 2009 macbook with the same hairline cracks as mine and they said no for a fault which has been declared defect in the design of the unibody white MacBook. A dead screen however could easily be user damage so they will want money to replace it.

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

Not necessarily, just because something broke doesn't mean it's defective. My iPhone screen died about 3 months after my applecare was up. They ruled that it wasn't because of anything i did and that it was defective. It was subsequently replaced. It never hurts to ask. It's at the discretion of the genius that looks at the machine.

8. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Right and how does 3 months compare to 2 years out of care thats completely different apple have discretion for a few months for your exact problem. But they don't unfortunately give 2 years discretion otherwise you wouldn't need to buy apple care.

9. /user/me macrumors 6502

Do you know if OP had applecare? because I certainly don't.... If OP bought applecare, it's up this year.

10. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Wait see then if he doesn't have apple care apple will make him pay. If he does have apple care then I would like to know why he has posted about ripping the MacBook apart which would void any type warranty he has got.

11. /user/me macrumors 6502

But there's a chance - very slim, but a chance that he could get it fixed for free by a sympathetic apple tech. Some people want to take their stuff apart. Curiosity maybe?

12. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I wouldn't bet on it the genius will probably be very nice give him a simile and sorry theres nothing i can do without some money. I love taking my stuff apart but not to fix it if its in warranty especially apple because there genius service is the best but expensive if out of warranty. If its out of warranty I'm not afraid to reach for that toolbox :)

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

But there is a chance that since OP's screen could be defective, that it'll get replaced. Not a large chance, but still a chance. I'm comfortable with taking apart my MBP and doing anything with it, but I may be paid to do hardware tech. Can't say for sure.

14. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Here's an idea..

Let's just wait for a reply from the OP and see what the full story is.

Some people make me laugh...

15. Azukius thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the replies.

No I don't have any kind of warranty, it's been more than three years since I bought it and I never had applecare. The dead screen is definitely my fault (well, my friends actually, but certainly not an underlying fault). And no, I don't have much experience with computer hardware other than building a PC once.

I can't take it into an apple store as I'm in New Zealand and we don't have those :(. I'm replacing it with a newer Air for taking to university, but I liked the idea of having it as a desktop.

As I'm replacing it, and it's not worth very much, I don't mind taking some risk taking it apart. I guess I'm asking if anyone has done this before, and if there's anything in the lid other than the screen.

Also, thanks for the iFixit link chibiterasu, mines an Aluminium one rather than polycarb but they do have a tear down for that, unfortunately they don't seem to show how they took the lid off.

16. chibiterasu, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Oh right then you have a 2008 unibody MacBook this is the first alumium one before it turned into the MacBook pro.
    Anyway check this link out http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-LCD-Panel/1428/3
    Also scroll down to the bottom of the page and click next there is 11 pages and all it shows you is how the screen comes off. They even go on to removing the glass but I don't think you want/need to do this. Hope this helps :)

17. Azukius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks heaps! This is just what I was looking for.

18. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Thats great to hear, your very welcome :)