removing macbook pro optical drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksood, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ksood macrumors newbie

hi there,

i have a 2012 15' macbook pro non retina (2.6 quad, 1gb 650m, 16gb ram and a 750gb 5400rpm), the stock 5400rpm is pretty slow. i have been thinking of buying a 512gb ssd and then an external hard drive for all my video files, BUT 512gb ssd's are still kinda expensive, so i thought about buying a 128gb or 256gb ssd then taking out the optical drive and putting a faster 7200 rpm hard drive. BUT that voids the warrenty, so lets say i have a problem with the computer and i need to take it to apple, i thought i would just put the optical drive back in, The only thing i want to know is there any sensors in the computer for apple to tell i removed the optical drive and put it back in?

thx for looking!

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I do not believe removing the optical drive and replacing it with a second storage bay voids the warranty.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3325752?start=0&tstart=0

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No, no sensors. Just take the SSD out and put the Superdrive back in. XShane, did you even read the link? The "this solved my question" post says that replacing the optibay with an SSD voids the warantee, but just swap it out when you go into Apple.