Removing marks left by iPhone 4 bumper case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monty77, Aug 30, 2010.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Like a lot of people all over the world it'd seem my bumper has left some unsightly marks on the antenna band of my otherwise mint iPhone 4 - pretty annoying but such is life.

I read in a few places that you can remove these marks and restore the original brushed finish fairly easily .. anyone done this? Is it possible? Guide anywhere online? What did you use?

I'm tempted to take it to Apple to get their take seeing as I used their own case from day one but to be perfectly honest I'd rather fix it myself if I can.

Thanks!
    Monty

2. dznts macrumors newbie

i just scratch-x remover from meguiars. its a automobile scratch remover but it worked perfect. i used a soft cloth and just a dab of the scratch x and a little elbow grease. worked for me so it should work for you.

3. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent .. I'll try that!

Thanks,
    Monty

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I remove my bumper weekly and clean the surface of the phone, including the antenna with denatured alcohol. It removes any debris that may be lodged between the bumper and the phone itself.

So far that's prevented any unsightly marks from occurring on the phone.

5. dznts macrumors newbie

it will for sure remove finer scratches. but deeper ones might not come out. i just had finer scratches that were more than easy to remove. good luck

6. frikfrak macrumors regular

7. dznts macrumors newbie

to the OP,
    let me know how everything goes for you

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Fixed

I wouldn't use any kind of rubbing compound on brushed stainless steel it will end up ruining the matte finish on the phone = you guys will complain even more

just use a microfiber and something that doesn't have abrasive, like a quick detailer or just plain water

9. fasttimes macrumors newbie

Just take it back to an Apple store and raise holy hell about the proximity sensor and they will replace it for you.

10. dznts macrumors newbie

Justafnphone,

i used mequiars scratch x and it didnt ruin the finish. i find it funny that people act like they know what they are talking about without trying it. i used it and it worked like a charm. i used it with a microfiber cloth and was able to get the scratches and scuffs out with ease.

11. RS232 macrumors regular

RS232

I've used a tiny bit of Brasso to rid my Bumper scuffs. It works a treat but do it with care!

12. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I used some household stainless steel polish and it made the area I polished slightly more shiney than the rest of the frame, and appears darker in direct light. Polish with care, people.

I'm hoping mine will oxidize over time and return to almost normal.

13. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

So after getting tired of the matte finish on the iPhone 4, and also after getting tired of small marks left behind on the frame from various different cases, I decided to polish the entire frame!

I used Mothers Metal Polish and sat down for a few hours and polished the entire thing. Looks great! The hardest part was around the volume buttons. If anyone is interested in seeing a polished iPhone 4 let me know and I can toss some pictures up.

14. plusonechoi macrumors member

lets see some pics!