Removing "Network" from Finder view

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SevenInchScrew, Jan 12, 2008.

1. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I have a slightly odd question, maybe. I'm trying to get the "Network" icon to stop showing up when I open a new Finder window.

When I open Finder, I have it start with the "Computer" selection, so I can see all the drives connected. I have a mish-mash of USB thumb drives, Firewire drives, and iPods that are connected at various times, so that view is good for me, because I get a quick look at the drives connected, and their available space.

My problem is, I don't want the "Network" icon to show up here. This computer isn't connected to any other computers in the house, nor will it probably ever be. It has a specific purpose, and doesn't need to connect to anything like that. Is there a way to get the "Network" icon to stop showing up?? Its just kind of annoying seeing that stupid globe all the time, when it is never used. I'm kind of picky that way. If something isn't ever used, get rid of it, I don't want to see it.

Any ideas how to get it to go away?? Here is a pic of what I see when I open Finder. Any help would be great, because I can't find any way to get this done. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont think you can sorry! ive tried making it invisible using an app called mac pilot which can make hard drives invisible.

its just like having "my network places" on the desktop in windows xp so i think its just best to leave it.

3. SevenInchScrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

But you see, you CAN get rid of "My Network Places" in Windows. I know for sure, because I have nothing on my desktop in XP at work. No icons, no "My Computer", no Recycle Bin, none of that. You can get rid of all of it in XP.

I guess I was just thinking there would be a way to do that here in Finder. Like I said before, if I don't need it, I don't want it.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh i know but i was just trying to find a comparison. you can make the desktop in OS X clean too but thats not what you want.

the network folder in "Computer" is actually an alias of the network folder in macintosh HD which is invisible. i have no other ideas sorry so maybe someone else can chip in for some ideas. im pretty sure it cant be done though.