Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveOuellette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
western massachusetts
I own a 2012 Macbook Pro with all the latest updates and needed to install some communications programs for grad school. Now that I want to remove the programs I can't.

I have tried dragging the applications to the trash but they don't stay there, they just snap back to thier original position.

The applications are CITRIX Reciever, and Drop Box there is another one but if there is a way to remove the applications it presumably work for all.

My question: Is there a non-destructive method for removing unwanted applications beside the obvious dragging to the trash can?

Dave

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)
  • /Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
  • /Library/StartupItems/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
Now restart your Mac and follow these directions for removing apps:

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I own a 2012 Macbook Pro with all the latest updates and needed to install some communications programs for grad school. Now that I want to remove the programs I can't.

I have tried dragging the applications to the trash but they don't stay there, they just snap back to thier original position.

The applications are CITRIX Reciever, and Drop Box there is another one but if there is a way to remove the applications it presumably work for all.

My question: Is there a non-destructive method for removing unwanted applications beside the obvious dragging to the trash can?

Dave

This is a way to fully delete an app...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)
  • /Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
  • /Library/StartupItems/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
Now restart your Mac and follow these directions for removing apps:

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

You're too slow buddy. GGJstudios is way too good at this.... :p

Frankly, I think the GGJ is...well...scary! He is preternaturally fast, and is either an evil spirit, or people PM him before they post so he knows in advance that the post is going up.

And darn him, anyway...:mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Frankly, I think the GGJ is...well...scary! He is preternaturally fast, and is either an evil spirit, or people PM him before they post so he knows in advance that the post is going up.

And darn him, anyway...:mad:
All it takes is Forum Spy and some text expander or keyboard shortcuts. I'm even slower now, because I've been using an iPad mini for the past week or so. And, as always, I'm multitasking like crazy here!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
All it takes is Forum Spy and some text expander or keyboard shortcuts. I'm even slower now, because I've been using an iPad mini for the past week or so. And, as always, I'm multitasking like crazy here!

OK, so here's the really embarrassing part...I am using Spy Forum.:eek:

Gotta learn some short cuts...I get you someday...:p

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings

Dave

Where are you dragging them FROM?

If you try to drag them from the dock to the trash, yeah, they'll just snap back. Try opening the Finder and navigating to the Applications folder (or control-clicking / right-clicking on the dock icon you want to remove and choosing "show in finder"). Drag them from the finder to the trash.

If that still doesn't work, it sounds like a permissions issue or something.

DaveOuellette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
western massachusetts
I was dragging them from the launchpad window. However, the procedure that everyone sent worked fine. I like removing all the files not just the obvious ones anyway. Thank you for the response sir.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
AppZapper

Give AppZapper a try.

In trying to delete an application, one may find the exercise imperfect and in fact aspects of it still remaining (not to mention what you may not find).

AppZapper purports to simply erase all facets of an application, and in my experience does. Using it is simplicity itself: open AppZapper, drag the icon of the application to be removed from the Finder to it and, zap!—gone.

All the better, this program is available as a download with 5 free uses enabled. So see how it works at no risk. Thereafter, if liking it and wishing to use it further, the purchase price is nominal.

It really works, and well:
http://www.appzapper.com

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Give AppZapper a try.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

As stated earlier in this thread, the most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.