Removing old podcast episodes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by atomheartmother, Sep 15, 2008.

1. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Is there anyway to set up iTunes to automatically remove listened-to podcast episodes from my iPod Touch when I sync. I have the podcast sync section setup to sync only "all unplayed episodes." I listen to all my podcasts all the way through until it brings you back to episode selection screen (though, now it just starts playing the next episode...FINALLY!). I've also selected "allow auto-delete" for each podcast by right-clicking on the podcast name for each podcast.

My Touch is getting quite full with all of these episodes I've already listened to and no longer want. How do I get rid of them? Keep in mind: I want to keep them on my computer, but just take them off of my iPod.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You used to be able to tell iTunes how many you want to keep (1, 3, 5, 20, all), It should be under settings if you right-click on the podcast title on iTunes. Otherwise, you can create a smart playlist on your copy of iTunes, that only allow podcasts with a playcount < 1 within the playlist, then sync that playlist, instead of the podcast directly.

However, once they are on the iPod, they cannot be removed without syncing to iTunes.

TEG

3. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

So there is no way to have iTunes automatically removed fully-played podcast episodes when I sync it?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It does remove them from the iPod when you sync. As I said, if you are still having problems getting it to work, you'll have to use the smart playlist, and not use the Podcast Tab to sync the podcast.

TEG

5. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Well, what I've done so far hasn't worked. I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of the smart playlist. I'd rather not have to constantly update a playlist every time a new episode comes out for the 20 or so podcasts I listen to.

Thanks for the help, though.

Update: Crap. I must have set some setting to delete the podcasts from iTunes (and my computer) entirely. I just wanted it to delete them from the Touch. What did I do?

6. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you listen all the way to the end? I've noticed with 2.1 that podcasts only get marked as played if you go to the end, otherwise the blue circle is still half-filled. Before 2.1 podcasts would be marked as played after any length of time listening.

8. atomheartmother thread starter macrumors regular

I always listen them to the end. Prior to 2.1, it would take you back to the episode selection screen. Now with 2.1, it just starts playing the next in the list.

So yes, I listen to them all the way through.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It works fine on my iPhone, so I'm not sure why yours isn't going right. (i.e. it certainly can be done.)