Removing optical drive without installing anything in its place?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by burnout8488, Oct 11, 2011.

1. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

I've seen a lot of threads about using the Optibay to put a second HD/SSD in the area where the Optical drive sits in a MacBook. I don't want to do this, I want to remove it entirely, but have a question.

I am looking at getting a polycarbonate 2007 MacBook, and was wondering if the optical drive is integral to the structure of the laptop. If I remove it, will it compromise the integrity of the laptop and make it bendy? Or, can I remove it entirely and enjoy a slight weight savings? I haven't read of anyone doing this, despite searching the forum and internet for the last hour.

Thanks!:apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The weight of the optical drive is not significant. You will not even notice if your optical drive is in or not.

3. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I figured, but I will be inside the laptop anyway doing general clean-up work. If I'm in there, I'll take it out if it doesn't compromise sturdiness.

I don't think I'm going to find too many that have done this, so I might just be the guinea pig and post up my results once complete.

4. Djhyper66, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

I just took it out but put a extra hard drive in its place, super super simple to do!!!

i did this mod 2 days ago on my macbook unibody,

was fairly simple to do, didnt even need directions, just super small screwdriver!!!

my mac has extra 1 tb hard drive, as well as the 750 that it normally uses.

spent like 40 dollar on a tray to hold the hard drive in, as well as a box encloser to put the cd/dvd drive in so I can use it thru USB. 100 dollars for 2.5 tb hard drive thru mico center.

it simple to do, just open up ur mac, take off a couple of screws, and unclip 2 clips. you dont need directions.

5. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Have the same mid 2007 macbook, I Don't have the optical drive in it, It broke, so i use an external USB Drive. It actually is a bit lighter! It is fine without the drive, I Have dropped the macbook before, the less weight the more likely it is to survive a fall, so sturdiness is not an issue.

6. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great news!

If you hold the mac with two hands and apply a bending/twisting force to it, it's not any more prone to twisting? I'll probably go ahead and do this when the Mac arrives... just bought one on eBay.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Some people that have removed their optical drive and not put anything in its place find that that laptop feels 'uneven' weight-wise :p

8. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm expecting. Would be cool if I could relocate the original HD up to where the optical drive is, but I don't feel like buying an optibay just to move the location of my one hard drive. Not interested in running two HDs at the moment.

9. ch02ce macrumors member

I took mine out and left it empty.. Got tired of that dumb noise every time the computer wakes from sleep, and I never used it.

There is a little workaround to enable remote disc on another computer, and that works beautifully with my iMac.

I have not experienced any lopsided weight or rigidity issues, the thing weighs nothing and was attached to the internal metal frame.

Not sure about unibodies though, this is on an older 4,1 macbook.

I say go for it if you never use it.

10. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went and did it today. The metal frame that holds the CD drive is what gives the laptop it's rigidity, not the CD drive itself.

It feels exactly like it did before, but with no noise at bootup or after sleep. Kind of nice!

You guys were right, the weight savings was minimal if any and I can't notice it.