Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hey guys, I'm considering trying something and I'd like to get some advice about the best way to do this.

I have a new iMac (late 2012), and I'm wanting to remove OSX completely and make the machine boot to Windows. Currently, I'm using Boot Camp to have it boot into Windows but this creates problems with encrypting the drive (can't use BitLocker or TrueCrypt on Windows install -- I'm assuming this is because of the way the Boot Camp partition is setup). So I'm thinking about removing OSX completely and just installing Windows as though it is a non-Apple computer.

Installing Windows should be fairly straight forward, but there is one thing I'm curious about: can I set up OSX to run in a virtual machine? I really don't have any interest in using OSX, but I might considering installing it VM just for fun; who knows, maybe I'll find I like it in the future. Would I need to make a USB/DVD copy of the ML installation that came on my drive?

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
*****? If you don't want OSX why you bought an iMac 2012? Just to show it to your friends and run Windows on it?

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
The iMac is one of the few decent AIO computers on the market.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Not unless you are running OSX as a host and only the same version as the host OS.

Really? That's surprising.

I know that Virtual Box has an option to load to create an OSX system in a VM, but since I don't have my install on USB/DVD I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Oh the horror.

Aside from for gaming; Windows just feels like an unfinished, unrefined and slightly broken product to me.

I don't have any interest in games, and I don't have a desire to turn this into a argument about Windows vs OSX, but I have found Windows to be far more responsive and perform quicker than ML on my iMac. That is part of the reason for my wanting to use Windows as the host OS.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I don't have any interest in games, and I don't have a desire to turn this into a argument about Windows vs OSX, but I have found Windows to be far more responsive and perform quicker than ML on my iMac. That is part of the reason for my wanting to use Windows as the host OS.

How long have you had your iMac for? I think you can return it within 14 days of purchase.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Then maximize the Windows partition and set Windows as the default boot when installing bootcamp.

Make sure you install your ML onto a bootable USB key first just incase.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Thank you, but I don't have any problems with the computer, I've just found that Windows performs better for my needs.

----------

Make sure you install your ML onto a bootable USB key first just incase.

I need to figure out how to do this; can you point me in the right direction?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Really? That's surprising.

I know that Virtual Box has an option to load to create an OSX system in a VM, but since I don't have my install on USB/DVD I haven't been able to try it out yet.

It's probably only on the OSX version of the program. You cannot legally guest OSX from Windows as a Host. The SLA of OSX requires you to use OSX as a host - I doubt the makers of Virtual Box would enable such a blatant violation. According to Oracle - running OSX as a guest is considered experimental. VMware and Parallels have better support but of course it only works on their OSX software.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Unfortunately while it is possible to completely remove OS X, it is not a good idea because you will need OS X on there to update the firmware. Apple from time to time does issue firmware updates for its hardware and to date you can only do this through OS X.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hadn't thought about updating the firmware... hmm.

I have no problem with using Boot Camp in theory; it's a nice enough program and has worked for me quite well. The only problem is that however it sets up the boot sectors seems to cause problems for encrypting the drive (something which I've always done).

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Do not underestimate the OP...

I used to work for an Apple Reseller 6 years ago, and one customer literally bought a 17" Alu MacBook Pro in cold hard cash just to install Windows XP as a main OS. The reason being - want to show off... :confused::confused:

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Do not underestimate the OP...

I used to work for an Apple Reseller 6 years ago, and one customer literally bought a 17" Alu MacBook Pro in cold hard cash just to install Windows XP as a main OS. The reason being - want to show off... :confused::confused:

Yes, well... that is a narrow reason to buy a computer. As I stated before, the iMac is a quality all-in-one computer; whether it is made by Apple, or anyone else, is of little concern to me.

According to your signature, you seem to question the value of Mountain Lion as an operating system (unless, I'm misreading it), as well, do you not? :D

----------

This article might help you. Someone managed to get TrueCrypt to work with Bootcamp.

Thanks for the link! I'll look into that, it may make this whole issue disappear, and I'll go back to using Boot Camp. :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Hey guys, I'm considering trying something and I'd like to get some advice about the best way to do this.

I have a new iMac (late 2012), and I'm wanting to remove OSX completely and make the machine boot to Windows. Currently, I'm using Boot Camp to have it boot into Windows but this creates problems with encrypting the drive (can't use BitLocker or TrueCrypt on Windows install -- I'm assuming this is because of the way the Boot Camp partition is setup). So I'm thinking about removing OSX completely and just installing Windows as though it is a non-Apple computer.

Installing Windows should be fairly straight forward, but there is one thing I'm curious about: can I set up OSX to run in a virtual machine? I really don't have any interest in using OSX, but I might considering installing it VM just for fun; who knows, maybe I'll find I like it in the future. Would I need to make a USB/DVD copy of the ML installation that came on my drive?

I've done what you are mentioning but with a Mac Mini at work. I initially used boot camp to get the machine to boot into the Windows setup screen then when it got to the part about formatting the hard drive, I just formatted the entire drive to NTFS and installed Win7 only.

For those that ask why, Apple makes the Mini a small, efficient and professional looking device, when pricing out a new mini PC the pricing was very very close to that of the Mini and I won't get near the resell value on a mini PC in 4-5 yrs.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Thank you, but I don't have any problems with the computer, I've just found that Windows performs better for my needs.

I find the opposite, I'm on an SSD so that might be part of it.

On my 2010 MBP Windows (bootcamp) gets the fan going just idling and battery life suffers for it. On an iMac that point is moot.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I haven't read through the entire thread, so I'm just going to respond to the original question.

---

• The first thing you want to do is launch Boot Camp Assistant (in Applications/Utilities) and download the latest Windows Driver Support Package.
  • Next, click the :apple: and choose Software Update this should prompt you to Sign in and Update iLife. The point of this is to make sure you have OS X and the iLife suite registered to your account (if you ever want to reinstall OS X).
  • After that you can go ahead and wipe the hard drive, and install Windows:

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 7:
  1. Restart your computer with the Windows DVD or ThumbDrive inserted
  2. Hold Option to select the Windows Installer (Choose the one that doesn't have EFI in the name)
  3. Click Next
  4. Click the "Repair your Computer Button"
  5. Click "Use recovery tools that can help fix…"
  6. Click "Command Prompt"
  7. Type:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 0 (Disk 0 should be your main HD, if not you can use "list disk" to see all your drives)
    • clean (This will erase everything on disk 0)
    • exit
    • exit
  8. Quit out of Command Prompt and get back to the Very First Screen
  9. Follow This Tutorial to install Windows 7 Clean
  10. Install the Boot Camp Driver Support package

---

Alternatively you can delete the Recovery partition, Resize the OS X partition down to 20GB, Create a 200MB Partition for the Windows 7 Boot Loader and then install Windows on the rest of the space. That will leave you with 4 partitions and everything should work correctly (Send me a PM if you would like help with that).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.