Removing OSX from firewire drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DoS, Nov 21, 2008.

1. DoS macrumors newbie

Hi, I would like some help before I do something I might regret. I separated the whole reason for what I want to do in that quote, or if you would like to help me you can go directly to my question below.
    Is it possible to install OSX in my internal drive and remove Iomega's OSX and all it's applications, settings, while leaving my personal files on the firewire drive? Is it as simple as deleting system folders after I installed the new system?

Let me know if I couldn't be clear, thank you for your attention!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's currently on the internal drive?

To preserve all your account settings — email, everything — it would easiest to clone your OS X install onto there but this 300Gb of stuff that's on your external drive is a nuisance.

Otherwise, you'll need to install OS X on your internal drive first which will erase what's on there, before you can even think about moving stuff over before erasing the current boot drive.

I'm not sure what account/OSX options are new in Leopard, so maybe there's an easier way of resolving the situation you're in.

3. DoS thread starter macrumors newbie

There's absolutely nothing useful on the internal drive, it can be wiped. After that I will have dual boot in 2 different OSXs, right?

I just want to know how I can remove OSX from the external drive after that, so that I won't have dual boot and I won't have system files on the external drive.