Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

per321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2015
I have almost 20GB of "other" files on my iPhone 5S 64GB (which I have only had for four months), and it seems to keep growing. (I keep needing to delete files/apps from my phone to free up space, even if I am not adding much apart from a photo now and then.)

I tried to run PhoneClean 3, but the quick clean didn't remove much, and the deep clean failed because of an "unusually complicated structure" on my phone.

I would like to back up everything, clean the phone, and reinstall, but am unable to since my laptop doesn't have enough space for the backup.

Is there a way to backup the iPhone to an external drive?

Also, what other options do I have? I am interested in deleting most or all of the 20GB of other files, not just a few files here and there.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I have almost 20GB of "other" files on my iPhone 5S 64GB (which I have only had for four months), and it seems to keep growing. (I keep needing to delete files/apps from my phone to free up space, even if I am not adding much apart from a photo now and then.)

I tried to run PhoneClean 3, but the quick clean didn't remove much, and the deep clean failed because of an "unusually complicated structure" on my phone.

I would like to back up everything, clean the phone, and reinstall, but am unable to since my laptop doesn't have enough space for the backup.

Is there a way to backup the iPhone to an external drive?

Also, what other options do I have? I am interested in deleting most or all of the 20GB of other files, not just a few files here and there.

Back up and restore. This way you don't lose any data and "other" goes away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.