removing otterbox defender screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ribbon, May 25, 2012.

1. ribbon macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying an otterbox defender, but the screen protector really annoys me and i think it's unnecessary. is it possible to have it removed? is it hard to do it?

if i could remove it i'd probably go with an antiglare "screen protector" and that's it: no more sleeves, smart covers or any other thing.

thanks in advance!

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

What I did was just simply punch it out, but you'd be better served if you took a hairdryer and warm the edges of the plastic so you can easily peel it away.

3. rgctx macrumors regular

I agree, but its there to protect dust,raindrops,dirt,etc from getting into the ipad. Once you remove it your going to get all kinds of stuff in the cracks.

It annoys me to.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

I just "pushed" mine through at the corner to allow me to then turn it over and pull it off from the other side.

Then I removed the sticky residue with some thinner and that was it.

I always use MediaDevil screen protectors and that's what went on my iPad as soon as it came out if the box (and before the Defender had arrived).

5. ribbon thread starter macrumors member

and is that enough protection? i mean, if you guys take your screen protector off, do you carry around your ipad just in the otterbox, or you put it into a sleeve or something like that?

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I just have my iPad 3 in the Defender (with a screen protector already applied to the iPad).