removing partition helped osx performance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sp3shl K, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Sp3shl K macrumors newbie

hey, after getting leopard utd i decided to try out bootcamp to play some games. after installing xp i noticed there was considerable lag when starting up my macbook and opening applications as well as intermittent random shutdowns. thinking that it was a leopard related issue i took it to the genius bar but they had no idea what the problem could be because the hard drive and everything checked out fine. so when i got home i decided to get rid of the partition since i do not use it that often anymore and i can immediately see improvements in performance; almost just like when i got the macbook. i dont know why it had such an adverse affect on my macbook, but i just wanted to share my ordeal in case anyone else was going through similar problems.

2. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Did that partition make your OSX partition be really tight on space?

It's been a while since I've been that tight on space so I don't know if if this is still an issue or not. I remember a machine a while back that would get really squirrelly when free hard drive space got to < 3 gig or so. I can't remember if it was Panther or early Tiger. I'd clean up some space and it would be fine again.

3. Sp3shl K thread starter macrumors newbie

no i still had like 50+ gigs on the hdd so that couldnt be the issue. before i removed the partition i took it to the geniuses and they didnt know what the problem could be but it's fine after the removal.