Removing Partitions Manually

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shinderhizzle84, Mar 27, 2010.

1. shinderhizzle84 macrumors member

Hello. So, I know this isn't "Windows" per say, but I couldn't really find a closer forum to post in :p

So, I installed Ubuntu following their online guide using Bootcamp and such because I was curious. Now, it's not really working as much as I would like it to, and I'd like to remove the 90 or so Gigabytes I gave to Ubuntu in my partition.

Only one problem. I tried using the Disk Utility, and it always gets stuck on "preparing to remove partition".

I waited for an hour and a half once, and it still had not progressed. I also tried using the Disk Utility off of my Mac OS X installation disk and saw the same failures and results.

What can I do to remove this plaguing Ubuntu partition off of my hard drive for good?

Thanks!

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried erasing the partition first and formatting it as HFS+? Then maybe try to add it back to your main partition.

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

If you're talking about removing Ubuntu completely, Boot Camp Assistant is used to remove that partition as well. Launch Boot Camp and it will give you the option to "add or remove a windows partition," and select that option to remove it.

4. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

@ ppc michael:

I can't use Boot Camp assistant to remove the partition. Whenever I'm in Mac OS X, the partition doesn't show up on the computer at all, and Boot Camp Assistant doesn't see or recognize the partition at all.

@txhockey9404:

First of all, it's good to see another hockey fan here (I hope you mean Ice/Roller Hockey, because to me, that's the only real hockey out there :p)

Second of all, I don't know what you mean by "erasing the partition." When I click the "-" Button on the partition, it never ever gets past the "Preparing to Erase Partition" on the loading screen.

I tried yesterday for a record 4 hours. The computer never went to sleep or anything, and when I came back, it still had not progressed.

I really am stuck. I don't like ubuntu but am afraid I will be stuck with it forever. What should I do?

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I think what you have to do, instead of using the minus button, go to the tabs on the top of the disk utility and click the tab which says "erase' and go from there.

remember to format the partition you're going to erase to HFS+ format.

6. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

which option would be HFS+?

The only options that I've got are:

FAT
    Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Mac OS Extended
    Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)
    Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)

Which one would that be? lol sorry haha :rolleyes:

7. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind. I juut looked at the settings my Mac partition had (Extended Journaled) and I used that.

My only problem now is that it won't delete. It says it deleted, then it mounts the disc, but disk0s4 is still there and is still taking up 90+ GB of space that I seriously don't want it to take up.

Thanks for the help, once again.

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

at this point in time, it might help if you take a screenshot of disk utility and show us the current arrangement of partitions?

9. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

ok, can do!

It's attached to this post. Thanks!

PS: I also cannot delete "Linux Swap".

Attached Files:

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You have used the minus sign under the partition table to delete the partition, right? Not "erase" which just reformats to a new filesystem.

Select partition, hit "minus".

B

11. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, that's what didn't work originally, and still doesn't work. I've hit the minus button and then left the computer running for a good two hours and it still says it is "preparing to erase volume" or whatever.

I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot primarily because whenever I installed my copy of vista, it said I had an error that meant my HD was corrupt (wmilib.sys or something like that file was "missing" and Vista was unable to load). I installed ubuntu without a problem but now I am willing to take a guess and say the reason that my computer won't let me delete my Ubuntu partition is quite possibly because the HD is corrupt.

Only problem is that I'm on vacation right now. If I wipe the HD, will I have to re-install Mas OS X? Because I don't have my installation disks with me and probably won't for another good week or two.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It does sound like you have some partition or file system level corruption.

Wait until you get back and boot from your OS X install disc. Run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and try "verify" and "repair" on your HDD.

Then try and delete the partitions again.

B

13. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

SO, this is gonna be a long story.

I got back home and ran what you said. When I tried logging back onto Mac OS X, IT WOULD NOT LOAD.

The computer could no longer recognize the Ubuntu partition, either, so I was sadly forced to erase my entire hard drive and start anew.

It gets worse, though. I tried to install Mac OS X again, only to realize that my second disc for installation was conveniently missing!

Frantic, I installed a full partition of Windows XP on the computer.

That worked, thank God, but only for about 2 days. NOW, whenever I try to boot up Windows, even in Safe Mode and such, it flashes to a blue screen of death almost IMMEDIATELY and restarts the computer.

There's literally nothing I can do to access my new data!!

Any help? I'm working on trying to get to be able to post a log here for you guys, but in the meantime, are there any similar threads to my scenario that all of you guys can link me to???

EDIT: Opened up ntblog.txt, but don't know how to port it to an internet accessible computer, as it's not recognizing any blank CD's/DVD's and I don't own a USB Flash Drive.

Basically it says that it couldn't load driver "AFD.SYS" over and over and over again, for about 30-something lines.

ALSO, FML, but I have the infamous "WinXP Security Center Virus". What do I do?