Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellbound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I have a 32gb iPad that has run out of space and I am using iCloud photos on it and I’m suspecting that it is taking a bunch of space and I do not need the photos on the iPad. What is the best way to get the photos off the iPad without deleting them from my other devices?

Thanks.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Doesn’t this still keep the photos on the iPad? OR does it just download low resolution ones as you click on them to view them?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Doesn’t this still keep the photos on the iPad? OR does it just download low resolution ones as you click on them to view them?
Low res thumbnails but they still use up quite a bit if you have a large library. I find it easier to just completely disable iCloud Photos.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The only official way to delete photos on your iPad without deleting it from everywhere else while preserving the iCloud Photos feature is turn off iCloud Photos on your iPad.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Low res thumbnails but they still use up quite a bit if you have a large library. I find it easier to just completely disable iCloud Photos.

To put some figures on ‘quite a bit’, an 800GB photo library (about 30,000 photos) takes up about 3 GB on my iPad. It obviously changes with usage. A <32GB library would therefore take up about 1-200MB when most of the photos are offloaded. For those that don’t know, you can see how much storage your photos take up in Settings -> General -> iPad Storage

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
To put some figures on ‘quite a bit’, an 800GB photo library (about 30,000 photos) takes up about 3 GB on my iPad. It obviously changes with usage. A <32GB library would therefore take up about 1-200MB when most of the photos are offloaded. For those that don’t know, you can see how much storage your photos take up in Settings -> General -> iPad Storage
Interesting. Been wondering what the minimum is.

Only have 30GB but iirc, Photos uses up around 3GB on my iPad with optimize enabled. Haven't even looked at pics on this iPad so I really don't know what Apple's algorithm is for deciding which ones to download to the device. One issue with iCloud is lack of control forcing offloads or downloads, hence, I just disable iCloud Photo Library completely on low capacity devices. Although iirc, that might be changing with iOS 13.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Interesting. Been wondering what the minimum is.

Only have 30GB but iirc, Photos uses up around 3GB on my iPad with optimize enabled. Haven't even looked at pics on this iPad so I really don't know what Apple's algorithm is for deciding which ones to download to the device. One issue with iCloud is lack of control forcing offloads or downloads, hence, I just disable iCloud Photo Library completely on low capacity devices. Although iirc, that might be changing with iOS 13.

I don't know either, although it less on my phone than on my iPad, so its not just 3GB for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.