Removing PowerPC processes from an Intel Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ksmith688, May 30, 2009.

1. ksmith688 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 06 Blackbook. Around the time when I first got it I installed printer drivers for my HP printer. I dont use the printer anymore so a few days ago I dragged the HP folder into the trash thinking it would remove it completely from my system. It didnt. The processes are still running as PowerPC processes in activity monitor and seem to take up quite a bit of memory. I was hoping someone could help me find out how to remove these processes. Also when I have more than 4 tabs open in firefox (no youtube) the fan speed increases dramatically and the temperature rises. I have fan control installed. Could that be the problem?

Thanks,

Kev

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Check out XSlimmer. It removes PPC files from your Mac. I've used it. It saves a lot of space. Just make sure you do a Time Machine backup before you start it, just in case something goes wrong. Best of luck with your Mac.

EDIT: Go into account settings and remove the start up processes from starting when you turn your Mac on.

3. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Forgot to answer the end of your post. I'm not sure about that. If it were flash stuff I'd say it was normal. If it's just normal web pages, that's kinda odd.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I'll have to dig around and find where HP installs all the junk for their printers, but I originally had a similar issue. But, since I still use mine, I downloaded the most up to date Mac software from HP.com and it installed all Intel-native drivers, so there are no PPC items in the process list.

5. ksmith688 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. i'm going to try out the suggestions now.