Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datapusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Can I and is it advisable to make a recovery drive on an external usb drive. That way I could reclaim that space for the SSD.

Also, I could also have the recovery partition on the secondary platter internal drive.

Reasons for this:
reclaim limited ssd space
security, keep recovery partition off of laptop in the event it is stolen. no need to help them reset my passcode.

All comments, advise and experience appreciated.

Thanks

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Can I and is it advisable to make a recovery drive on an external usb drive. That way I could reclaim that space for the SSD.

Also, I could also have the recovery partition on the secondary platter internal drive.

Reasons for this:
reclaim limited ssd space
security, keep recovery partition off of laptop in the event it is stolen. no need to help them reset my passcode.

All comments, advise and experience appreciated.

Thanks

You will barely get 1GB of space, not all that much tbh.

And you can put a firmware passcode so they are unable to change the HD and boot.

I am sure there are ways around that but deleting the partition doesn't give you all that much.

datapusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
You will barely get 1GB of space, not all that much tbh.

And you can put a firmware passcode so they are unable to change the HD and boot.

I am sure there are ways around that but deleting the partition doesn't give you all that much.

Firmware password supersedes recovery password options from osx install disk?

I also am using the samsung 840 pro which i believe offers hardware level encryption, but not sure how to set that up, if it should be done prior to os install and most importantly if it would slow down apps like smoke on mac or maya.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Firmware password supersedes recovery password options from osx install disk?

Yes it does. If you enable the EFI (firmware PW) it only allows the system to boot to Macintosh HD and not the recovery partition or any other external drive. It is a good thing to do on particularly on a portable.

I also am using the samsung 840 pro which i believe offers hardware level encryption, but not sure how to set that up, if it should be done prior to os install and most importantly if it would slow down apps like smoke on mac or maya.

You will want to use the included encryption in OS X called Filevault2 (in the Security & Privacy pref pane in System Prefs). This encrypts the entire drive and at this point nobody has been able to crack it. It does slow write operations very slightly. Here is a test showing the difference. I don't notice any difference on my 2012 13" MBA.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
Yes it can be deleted but you won't be able to restore your mac if it craps out. Before you delete the partition, make sure that you have a copy of the OS on a dvd or a usb stick. You can find online how to do the restore disk or usb stick.

Here's how to remove the recovery partition:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/20...ilding-a-malfunctioning-recover-hd-partition/

Now this website also tells you how to rebuild the partition but before it says how to remove it. I used this part and it works. But you won't gain a lot of hdd space. Usually it is used when one wants to triple boot on the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.