Removing/Replacing rubber around MacBook Pro bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by upsguy27, Jun 21, 2011.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I just finished upgrading my MacBook Pro's screen to the High-Res option from Ifixit, and it basically destroyed the rubber part around the edge of the screen. In addition, it ruined the adhesive so that it's not sticking on too well. I have two questions, three actually. One, should I leave the rubber as-is (the fact that it's messed up causes the black plastic to be slightly raised in parts and the MacBook doesn't properly shut all the way with the rubber), or should I just remove it off, or should I go about ordering a new one?

Secondly, about the adhesive, what would I use to re-stick the black plastic onto the display case?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you remove the rubber altogether, you're inviting a new mess of cosmetic issues when your lid rubs/closes/sits against your bottom half.

3. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

I would see if you could order a replacement on ebay because without the rubber it could cause additional cosmetic issues like the poster above said.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Right now I'm using heavy-duty clamps to hold down the parts that stick up, and I'll see if that helps. If not, where would I find a rubber part? I looked on ebay and ifixit, and I got nothing. If worst comes to worst, how would I re-glue it on?