Removing scratches from composite back

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Due to lots of people complaining about the scratch prone composite back of the aluminum case ⌚ Here is a hint for those that want to get rid of up to medium sized scratches. I myself did this to “improve HR reliability”. Maybe it has no impact but a scratched HR sensor could cause misreading because of diffusing properties of rough surfaces.

Take a soft lint free cloth as for cleaning your glasses and moist it with some drops of water. Apply some toothpaste to it and rub this cloth above the composite back of your watch. The toothpaste contains micro abrasive particles you can use for polishing out scratches. This method takes some patience dependent on how badly scratched your composite back is.

Reactions: Heithel

Hansana

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2014
Due to lots of people complaining about the scratch prone composite back of the aluminum case ️ Here is a hint for those that want to get rid of up to medium sized scratches. I myself did this to “improve HR reliability”. Maybe it has no impact but a scratched HR sensor could cause misreading because of diffusing properties of rough surfaces.

Take a soft lint free cloth as for cleaning your glasses and moist it with some drops of water. Apply some toothpaste to it and rub this cloth above the composite back of your watch. The toothpaste contains micro abrasive particles you can use for polishing out scratches. This method takes some patience dependent on how badly scratched your composite back is.
You can’t be serious? The toothpaste will scratch it even more. I hope no one took your advice

Reactions: Senfinger

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
3E663357-88E0-41EC-96E6-9C782DCEF03A.jpeg
You can’t be serious? The toothpaste will scratch it even more. I hope no one took your advice
I am serious. I did it. Toothpaste won’t scratch the watch more. How should it do this? The particle size is to small and the compositeback to soft but OK. What do I know?
Maybe you take your time and read into polishing method called lapping before you say that’s it will scratch the watches back. That’s pretty much it.

It’s hard to take a photo of the back because it is too shiny. So unscratched

Last edited:

gjr74

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
PA, USA
Very useful information. I’d think a fine auto polish or light compound should work as well. Great job!

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
Heard this so often and still don’t believe it. Same with removing scratches from a glass screen. The abrasive particles in toothpaste can’t be able to polish down glass or other hard substances surely.

Otherwise your teeth would wear down !

axantas

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It works the same way as this display polish paste and does a quite good job. It’s like removing scratches from CDs.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Speaking of scratches...I seem to have managed to acquire a scratch on the screen which is only visible when the screen gets greasy/smudged. It isn't visible at any other time, and you can't feel it with your nail. Is this some sort of coating defect?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Speaking of scratches...I seem to have managed to acquire a scratch on the screen which is only visible when the screen gets greasy/smudged. It isn't visible at any other time, and you can't feel it with your nail. Is this some sort of coating defect?
It's possible that the scratch could be superficial on the oleophobic coating.