Removing scratches from white macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proadsa, Feb 19, 2008.

1. proadsa macrumors newbie

Hey My name is Paul

A few months ago I purchased a white mac book and have noticed that there are some scratches on it on the lid of my macbook, and also on the bottom. I was just wondering if there is any scratch removal tool in which I could use to remove these surface scratches

If anyone can help me this would be great

Cheers
    Paul

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

http://www.applesaucepolish.com/

3. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i've used magic erasers, not on electronics but on walls and whatnot. i don't think that's what you want to use, they feel like they'd just scratch it more, plus they need to be wet and i wouldn't trust that.

how about apple sauce?

http://www.applesaucepolish.com/

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I flipped my macbook over on a slightly abrasive surface when I put new ram in it. Flipped it back over and discovered I scratched the living daylights out of the top cover.

I went out and bought Meguiar's Scratch X. It helped to reduce the more deep trenched scratches in the macbook's surface. Now the scratches are only visible under bright light.

Like any of the macbook / iPod scratch removers out there, it will take quite a bit of rubbing (at least 45 minutes) at at least three polishing sessions to see results. The nice thing about Meguiar's Scratch X is that it's affordable and found in most auto supply stores.

Just make sure you don't use an abrasive cloth to work the cream in. Don't expect any miracles, but consistent treatment will greatly reduce the appearance of scratches.

6. jgmontalvo macrumors newbie

well, looking for options too

Hey Paul, I am having the same issue, just a month with my Whitemac and some scratches are on the cover, this is really annoying. I already purchased Idrops and waiting to have receive it. I am gonna let you know if this one works ( cross fingers)

7. antihero79 macrumors newbie

scrathed macbook (white)

I too have found shallow scratches on the lid of my new macbook. Does anyone recommend any products that actually work?

8. bencnorden macrumors member

Toothpaste

I found that cleaning the lid first with a damp cloth and then applying WHITE toothpaste in small amounts to scratched areas and then allowing to dry. After leaving to dry for about half a hour carefully clean the toothpaste of with a cloth a bit of water. For me it reduced the appearence of scratches and made the lid much more shiny :)

9. nec207 macrumors 6502

Instead of making a new thread on the same topic I will post here .I have a Macbook pro and white Macbook that is no more than year old and it has what looks like scratch or residue on it .It is in small spot only seen under light looking at from bird eye view looking down at it.The way the light shines and the way you look at it.

Not sure if it is a scratch or residue on it. I got wet face cloth and tried that no go and got a wet paper towel no go. I'm scared to use a face cloth or paper towel over and over as it may scrach it or get water damage or do some thing to the type plastic may look bad.

Most times plastic should be no problem but if this some kind of special shiny plastic they use it could .I don't know about the computer engineering of what to use that is safe or how to tell if this is a scratch or residue on it.

Should I take it to apple repair shop and pay and have the computer engineering remove it or by some special thing to remove it? If it is residue on it could it damage the computer? Does it have to me taken off ASAP or can I leave it and no problem to the computer? .

Why is it this years Macbook pro and white Macbook that seem to have more of this problem.

10. The Beer Baron macrumors newbie

Don't mean to revive an old thread, but I did use Meguiar;s Scratch X as well, but found that while it did dull the look of the scratch, it left the spot shiny as well. By any chance could this mean that I damaged the unibody?