Removing Scratches/ Scuffs from Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by geekygeek, Aug 23, 2011.

1. geekygeek macrumors regular

I had bought 2 and returned 1 13" 128gb Air. I got a Speck Clear case before I even got my MacBook Air. I observed my first Air carefully for any scratches there were none, and I put my clear case on. I then noticed that my Air had a Toshiba SSD, so I exchanged for 1 and luckily got a Samsung SSD. I also noticed that this time, my air had (I'm a little color blind) reddish brown spot on the top, and I saw this scratch/scuff before I even took off the little plastic cover that covers the air. I took it off and try rubbing it with a microfiber towel and some Staples Screen Cleaning Spray. No luck. I just put my speck case as normal and they said I could do a max for 1 exchange so I can't return or exchange anymore. It is really annoying, any ideas?

2. jmaker macrumors newbie

Post a picture of it if you can.

Is it on the screen or on the body? If it's a deep scratch, there's probably not much you can do about it. However if it's more of a scuff mark, then you could try some 3M rubbing compound. Just dab a little on your towel and just rub it off. Look for it at any auto parts store.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

Try meiguirs sratch x before rubbing compound....which is a polish, not a compound...less abrasive...

4. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Gotta admit that is not all that big but I would love to remove it somehow. Don't have my camera at the moment, maybe in a few days.

5. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I dropped my Super drive on the palm rest of my last 2010 mba. Right away it was a nice scratch. I used Novus fine glass and plastic scratch remover on it. I buffed it for about 5 minutes. I really had to hunt and peck to find it after that.

6. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

So you returned the original perfectly fine Air for nothing. The toshiba ssd inferior thing is an issue that's been addressed to its death on the forum. No real world difference. Some things the sammy does a bit quicker, others the toshi.

On another note, last I knew the Apple store has no such 1 exchange policy. Where is yours from?

7. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Agree with the guy above!

They said the max 1 time exchange just to scare you from wanting to return it again. I've had several exchanges for my MBA and they did it without too much fuss.

I did have genuine technical problems though so thats was probably why they did it but if you just say you want a refund and then repurchase then you can get around it.

8. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I got mine at Best Buy, I already traded once and the manager told me all this stuff that he would lose money and all that.

9. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Sounds like the manager is making up his own policy. Best Buy has to stick to their corporate return policy. So "if" you fall within those parameters do what you will.

10. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I really don't want to annoy people. Any good polishers that can remove this scratch or at least reduce the appearance of it?

11. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

that is total BS you can do what you would like as a consumer and there is no real limit

12. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Let the stones drop and just print out the return policy and tell him you want a new one, that is if you fall into the policy.

13. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

its past my exchange period anyway

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

15. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Does the icarbons make the air heavier? My speck makes a noticeable difference in weight. What is the icarbons made out of, is it soft or hard? Do you have to clean it every month or so?

16. glen e macrumors 68030

i carbons is a vinyl - weighs nothing..clean with windex, etc...

17. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix