Carrier Removing SIM from 'dumb'phone into smartphone on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ntegra, May 24, 2015.

1. ntegra macrumors regular

Father has an old samsung flip phone using our standard minutes/messages rate.

What exactly happens when I throw his SIM into my old iPhone? (He wants a smartphone and my old iP5 is fine for him)

Will his SIM/phone be thrown onto a similar data plan that 3 of our other family members have on their smartphones? Do I need to go to an AT&T store to initiate this switch?

2. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

I'm assuming that the flip phone has a regular SIM card.

You might have to go through at&t for a nano SIM and activation.

3. bakedapple macrumors newbie

Is the iPhone an AT&T version, a Verizon version or unlocked?

Also, AT&T may pick up that the SIM card is now in a smartphone and require you to purchase a data plan. I've had smartphones on GoPhone and there's been no data purchase requirement. Postpaid AT&T service, OTOH, usually requires it.

Either get a SIM cutter (~$4 on Amazon), download a template and cut it with scissors/razor blade or go to a local "mom & pop" electronics shop and have them cut the SIM for you, especially if you do not want a data plan on the iPhone. Avoid contacting AT&T if you can.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it's on att post paid plan they mandate a data plan with all smartphones.
    So eventually their system detects it and adds a data plan to that line.

5. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Go to Best Buy and they can get you flipped to a nano SIM better than the corporate stores. You can activate a prepaid AT&T card and it will be good to go without data.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct but he would have to switch that phone line to prepaid service.
    If he stays on post paid with that family plan he would be forced to get a data plan.

7. whatos macrumors 6502a

Please supply a link to prove this myth...

8. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Did exact the same for my son's iphone, system picked up that it was smartphone, but they never pusjed me to buy any data. For the sim card you can either go to corp. store, they swap it for free or buy a sim cutter for a couple of bucks on the ebay.