Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Removing social network buttons and widget boxes in webpages ?

andy8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Hi All,

Does anyone have a method of removing the Facebook 'share/like' boxes, Google Plus widget boxes and twitter widgets on visited webpages ?

Its very annoying because these boxes sometimes cover the texts I read and even move around the webpages. For example on Guardian.co.uk, there are three different widget boxes : Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook that moves along (even when I scroll).

I'm using Safari 6 to browse webpages. I tried to set using optional blocking via Safari ad-blocker extension but it wasn't successful in removing all widget boxes. Probably there is a special extension specifically for this issue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi All,

Does anyone have a method of removing the Facebook 'share/like' boxes, Google Plus widget boxes and twitter widgets on visited webpages ?

Its very annoying because these boxes sometimes cover the texts I read and even move around the webpages. For example on Guardian.co.uk, there are three different widget boxes : Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook that moves along (even when I scroll).

I'm using Safari 6 to browse webpages. I tried to set using optional blocking via Safari ad-blocker extension but it wasn't successful in removing all widget boxes. Probably there is a special extension specifically for this issue.

Try Ghostery.

Comment

andy8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
You can try it with both which should work fine. I use it that way.

That would be great. I just hope that it doesn't slow down the browser.
Thank again for the recommendation. I appreciate it a lot.

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That would be great. I just hope that it doesn't slow down the browser.
Thank again for the recommendation. I appreciate it a lot.

In all likelihood, your browsing experience should be quicker being that certain elements are being prevented from loading.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Add this block list to your AdBlock and it will kill the social buttons/widgets. The block list is Fanboy's Annoyances list.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.