Removing something from the dock

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Say for example I download Camino and used it as my main browser, or downloaded Adium and used it to chat. Could I remove iChat or Safari from the dock, but still have it accessible? If so, how do I get to it without it being on the dock? :confused:

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
iMatt mini said:
Say for example I download Camino and used it as my main browser, or downloaded Adium and used it to chat. Could I remove iChat or Safari from the dock, but still have it accessible? If so, how do I get to it without it being on the dock? :confused:
Drag it out of the dock.

All applications (including iChat and Safari) will still be accessable at /Applications

Comment

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
gwuMACaddict said:
drag the icon out of the dock... watch it vanish in a poof of smoke

applications are in the... uh... application folder, under user
I know how to get rid of it. And I don't have a Mac right now so I was just asking.
No need to make it sound like it's so obvious. I just wanted to make sure I could still get to it. :p

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
gwuMACaddict said:
applications are in the... uh... application folder, under user
I'm not sure what you mean by "under user". Applications reside in the Applications folder, which are not specific to each user. Some applications, considered to be utility programs, are in the Utility folder inside the Applications folder.

The Dock holds pointers to applications or other items ("aliases" or "shortcuts") so you are free to remove these items from the Dock without losing the originals. Adding something to the Dock is the same. Drag an item into the Dock and a pointer to it is added to the Dock. Drag it out and only the pointer disappears.

Comment