Removing Super Strong Tape

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macman45, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Does anybody know of a way to remove super strong double sided adhesive strips?

Basically, my Satechi USB 3 hub was supplied with a strip of something so powerful that I can't find a way of removing it without damaging the device...It's my fault, as I didn't take into account the way the plugs go in, and would prefer to wall mount it now...IF I can remove the darn stuff that's holding it to the desk...I'd prefer not to damage the desk either..

Attached Files:

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you tried twisting the hub to break the seal?

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep...Trust me, the hub would disintegrate if I try any harder...what a dumb thing to do...:D

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not good. Looks like you'll need to slice it off with a Stanley Knife blade.

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

You mean the 3M foam like stuff which is used to fasten things to the exterior of airplanes? :cool:

Yes, try lateral motion first. If that doesn't work, you'll have to very carefully slide a utility blade or Xacto sideways through the foam. Go slowly and angle up so if the blade cuts anything it's the plastic, not the desk. Maybe just a few cuts and then carefully twist the electrical thing sideways.

Acetone or nail polish remover (same thing) will remove the adhesive remnants, but if your desk is wood with a lacquer finish -DON'T use the acetone on it! It will remove the finish. Try something like olive oil instead, and patience.

And never apply these double-sticky foam tapes to nice furniture again!!

Have used these strips to mount MDF mural panels to the exteriors of homes in the Bahamas, and this tape will withstand hurricanes.

----------
    Another option, a broad plastic spackle blade. Softish plastic is best, although they all seem to be made of more brittle plastic these days. Slide it under and work it through very slowly. I think this is your best bet considering you used the tape on a desk surface.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Will heat from a hairdryer melt the glue a bit?

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Years ago, well actually decades ago I found out how strong that tape is. They were using it to mount pay phones to walls. For those who don't know, a pay phone weighs about the same as a dorm sized refrigerator. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    I suggest using a knife to slice through the middle of the tape. You can clean the remnants with a knife and solvent.

8. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like a plan of sorts..The blade will probable remove the device and I don't care what's left on the bottom of the hub...It's not a desk I'd use acetone on though...:)

----------

The hairdryer will almost certainly wreck the hub, so I'll go with the knife...watch this space!:)

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I worked for awhile repurposing old iBooks for public schools. From there first deployment they all received metal security tags with barcodes, which had to removed for them to move on to there next school. I found using a razor blade with a coat of goo gone on and around the adhesive was the cleanest and easiest way to remove the stickers and all there adhesive residue. You have to have a gentle hand to avoid scratching or gouging the plastic but it got them looking good as new.

10. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well, It's off using the a craft knife. What remais on the desk I think I can probably remove with a little patience over time...not as bad as I thought.

Thanks for the help folks!:D

Attached Files:

11. Macman45, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Actually...Using white spirit ( or Turpentine if you prefer) It's all gone...what's left is mostly on the back of the hub, but since I'm wall mounting it, that really won't matter..the desk is as good as new!

Added the picture..now to decide EXACTLY where it lives!

Thanks all:D

And now on the wall...just need some longer USB3 cables...WHy do they cheap us out? every device I've had comes with at most a 12 " cable.

Anyways..I was thinking the desk would be damaged, but it's fine..!

Attached Files: