Removing system data-files. Please help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LostSoul80, Sep 12, 2009.

1. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Hey guys.
    To make it short: On my iMac i have 2 partitions, 1 with Leopard installed, the other one with Snow Leopard on. Now, I'd want to use the Snow Leo partition as the system partition, and use the other as an archive...
    How can I remove all Mac OS X files from the partition without formating it? There is some app.. or something similar?

Thanks.

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Fire up Disk Utility and erase the Leopard partition?

3. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That would erase *every*thing from the partition... My goal would be to delete only the files needed to Leopard to work, and mantain all documents, music and etc.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Open up terminal, navigate to the root folder of your partition, and delete all folders except the Users folder (which contains all your user files).

5. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I'm wondering why I hadn't thought that before. :)
    That's right... I could import my preference files from my user's library folder, then delete it with all root folders except the user's one with my account in.
    Thanks for that. One more question, my brother... If I import all of my preference files (along with the application support folders in the user's library) in the snow leopard partition, will my application running from leopard be able to read those preferences files in my snow leopard partition? I think the apps, once asked the system the relative path to the library, will be replied to look in the snow leopard volume, as they are running in its processess... Do you think I'm wrong?
    Thanks.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Best way is to migrate using migration assistant, formate the partition, and do what you want with the partition.

7. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Sure... But I don't want to migrate. I'd want to keep documents, apps & co. in the leopard partition...
    However, by now I've seen many glitches and bugs in snow leopard... and that's quite obvious as these are the first releases... I'll keep my mature Leopard. I'll switch to Snow later... I want at least 10.6.4.
    :)