Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm following this guide http://tersus.no/bluetooth/ and am not sure how to go about removing the fan/speaker... Can I get some detailed instructions?

Right underneath the SuperDrive you'll see a fan/speaker assembly, in light grey plastic. Be careful when removing, so that you don't pull the wires too much. You need to gently disconnect the two wire-sets going from the speaker and fan on too the motherboard. This wil allow you to remove the entire fan/speaker box by pulling it straight out. If it seems stuck, don't use force, gently try helping it out from underneath, where it's attatched to the metal case divider.

Where are these two wire sets and how do I disconnect them properly?

jezzy

Suspended
Jan 12, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
you just pull it out. there will be a 2 wire (speaker) and a 4 wire ( fan) connector to unclip and re-install afterwards.. easy stuff, but small hands needed. I use a pair of needlenose pliers to reinstall these two harnesses to the motherboard.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That doesn't really help me. I need to know the exact location it is on the motherboard, I can't just pull something without seeing where it's connected, otherwise how am I supposed to put it back? The pictures aren't very detailed. :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I tried.. the plugs are located behind the fan/speaker assembly. really isn't that hard. good luck then.

No worries, you did fine. :)

I need a diagram, that's all. I can pull them off, but I'm more worried about how to get them back in afterwards because there's little plugs all over the boards. I could live without the speakers, but not having the fan back in properly and in the wrong place could do some real damage to the hardware.

jezzy

Suspended
Jan 12, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
the wires from the fan and speaker are 2-3" long, and only one connector with a two and four pin connector in that area. you can't go wrong here. honestly if you can't do this, I recommend getting someone to do it. ;)

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Do you have a flashlight? If so just shine it in there and look for the two black wires. The speaker one is on the left and the fan one on the right. If you can't get it apart, you probably won't get it back together either because that's even harder. If you can take a picture of the inside I'll show you exactly where they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.