Removing the HD from my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tximacusr, Nov 21, 2014.

1. tximacusr macrumors member

Going to remove the HD to fit in a docking station due to iMac not turning on anymore. Told it may be the power transformer. I bought a macpro this past summer; I will use the imac drive for backups.

I got to taking off the plastic screen (see attachment). What do I remove next and what type and size screwdrivers do I need for those small screws. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You'll find all the information you need here, along with good pictures showing parts locations.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2389+Hard+Drive+Replacement/6284

Of course, you are just removing the hard drive, so you can stop at that point :D

You'll see that guide shows that you need a T10 torx driver, and maybe a T8, too.
    You will be using the hard drive in an external case, so the little temp sensor plug won't be needed.

btw - the panel covering the display - that you already removed - is NOT plastic - it's glass, and is very fragile when it's not supported by the rest of the iMac enclosure.

3. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    Can I sell the rest for parts? If so, how much?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Likely it would be easier to sell if it was working :D
    If you had a service shop tell you that the power supply has failed, replacing THAT is not too difficult (you already know how to get inside), and the part is not too expensive. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-Power-Supply/IF173-000-1
    And, if you know Apple's part number for that (661-5299) - you can search for a cheaper price yourself.
    If you don't want to try fixing, then you can use the various prices for major parts in that Ifixit.com site. You'll be selling used, and not tested, so you could try selling your parts on eBay/etc. for one-half to one-third of what iFixit charges. (I would still try to repair, then sell a working complete iMac!)

5. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Should try to keep it, then.