Removing the optical drive bay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thermodynamic, Oct 2, 2009.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The manual states to lift the latch and pull out the bay.

The latch is lifted but the tray feels like it's still stuck on something.

Grr.

I've never worked on a Pro before and obviously don't want to break anything. :) How much force is needed, anyway?

Thx!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

A bit more detail would've been nice, but I'm thinking you're trying to pull out the optical drive bay on a Mac Pro (keep in mind it's different on the G5's). The instructions are correct on a Mac Pro, just lift the latch and pull the drive carrier directly towards you. It's not going to lift up, it slides. You may have to disconnect some of the cables to remove it completely.

If it's a G5, there's two small grey latches on the bottom of the drive carrier that you pull towards yourself. In case you're misidentifying the model...

jW

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Pathetic... I spent 20 minutes arguing with the case, posted here, then 2 minutes later the thing came out.

Sorry to bug y'all. :(

And now, to transfer the data from my iMac, whee!!

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Sorry about that; I keep forgetting... It's a 2009 Mac Pro (2.66). It just took a few more jiggles than I antipated; the second hard drive insertion was rather quicker... :D

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

many of the parts in the mac pro require some yanking, i'd be more worried about hurting yourself then the computer.