Removing the sim card removes the data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmo19, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

I have a water-damaged 4S that I want to sell, but I want to make sure my data is not recoverable. Simply removing the sim card doesn't do it right? What exactly do I need to remove from the phone to make sure data recovery is not possible?

Two guys at the Apple store said to just remove the sim card, but I am skeptical about that.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

On a "dumb phone" he is mostly right. On a smartphone on the other hand, it doesn't remove anything. Smartphones do not store data to the SIM card, it only utilizes the SIM card to connect to the cellular network.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Removing the SIM erases nothing.
    If the phone still works just go to Settings -- General -- Reset -- Erase all content and settings.
    Do that after removing the SIM.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I also should add that if the touchscreen is not usable, but iTunes is, Restore the phone using iTunes for the best bet.

5. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's what I thought.

But the phone is dead. Water-damaged. Therefore I can't delete anything. I need to physically remove something, but I don't know what...

6. CheesyTators macrumors member

That's a good question. If the buyer has the parts and plans to get it "working" again would he/she have access to your information? I would think that if he/she left the original flash memory module in the phone, your info would be accessible. Not sure, but I would also like to know the answer to this one.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you're selling it to any kind of reputable reseller or service outfit all they're going to want to do is strip it for parts for a new phone.
    Yes they'll have access to your flash ram but all they're going to do with it is install it into a new phone where it will get erased as soon as the new phone gets initialized.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then you cant do anything about it.
    Just take your sim out.