Removing the super drive completely

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by o2sys, Dec 17, 2011.

1. o2sys macrumors member

I have the imac g4 opened up and don't really see the point of keeping the super drive in there.

If I ever need one I have an external blueray drive.

My main concern is the weight of the base acts as a ballast for the 20" screen, if I remove the superdrive will it offset the balance?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It shouldn't. The optical drive doesn't weight that much.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

You won't be able to boot from an external unless it's firewire. No optical boot means no OS installs or boot drive repairs via install disk.

Do you need the 6-7 iMac based threads you have now? You can just make one and every time you post a new question within that same thread it will go to the top and all those that have replied get an email about it also. All your questions would still get answered and it wouldn't seem like you're trying to saturate the board.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can boot a G4 iMac via USB. In fact, most PPC Macs with a USB port can boot via USB. It just needs to be in APM format with Mac OS 9 drivers installed.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The trouble with your solution is that many 10.4 and 10.5 installs are on drives without any OS 9 drivers.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good thing that the OS 9 drivers are only needed on older G3 Macs.

7. o2sys thread starter macrumors member

I would partition the drive so it has the install disc mounted on it.

8. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Do you have any real good reason to remove it? I can just see this causing you problems later on if you need an optical drive.

9. o2sys thread starter macrumors member

no real reason but they seem pretty obsolete. Havent used one for a while since most things are now downloaded or transferred with my portable HDD and USB flash.

Like i said, in case I need, I have an external optical drive.

And now I'm wondering since I dont plan on installing the internal optical drive and have an SSD, just make my imac completely fanless so it would be ultra quiet :cool:

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do not make a G4 iMac fanless. The fan is a critical part of its cooling systems. Those run hot even with a fan, removing it is a sure way to have problems.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

You can still do it. It takes some work to do though.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It's as if they put the fan there for a reason. ;)

Whats next? A thread about making the CPU external?

13. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I don't see where removing it would benefit you any and would only cause problems if you needed to boot to a DVD such as DiskWarrior or other utility to fix hard disk corruption. Just because Apple says they are obsolete doesn't mean they are.

14. o2sys thread starter macrumors member

Apple said they were obsolete? lol

Anyways thanks for your inputs, I decided to have it removed and I'm going to mount the SSD in away where I can take it out via the flap where the CD/DVD tray would usually come out.

Now I can't remember which way the fan is suppose to go.

Does it blow OUT to the top or does it blow IN to the case?

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

16. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Sorry to go off topic here, but zen sent me a PM but the forum is playing up when I try to send a message, so I have to post it here... :rolleyes:

@zen.state Woah! Thanks mate, that really means a lot to me, and I actually have Grandparents in Canada and have been there a few times. It's great over there, and I'm taking Welsh as one of my GCSE's this year and next, it's a shame that it's dying out.

Also, that's site looks very promising, keep it up! :D

PS. This is a reply to the PM you sent me on the 17th

17. o2sys thread starter macrumors member

I dont see what everyone's gripe is about me making individual thread for different topics.

Makes future members and any other members searching the forums much easier later on.

Of course my topics do seem a bit related but ummm thats because its about the same machine????

18. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

So I guess it is better that you merge it and at least minimize the clutter here? Lets be organized a little bit.

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

No offense but you obviously don't have much general sense or logic at least with computers. You don't understand how fans are different. You don't seem to get why a computer needs a fan and like many people with no grasp of hardware function you ask completely ridiculous questions that honestly make you look a bit out of you mind.

People like yourself need to read up on things a bit first before you dive into opening up a computer. It isn't a toy that can take abuse and have random parts just yanked out of it for no other reason than your own ignorance. Then you make 7 threads and ask everyone else to figure it out for you.

You really need some perspective.

20. o2sys thread starter macrumors member

Ill make a new thread about having external cpu and if I can upgrade my g4 to a intel i5 processor.