Removing the Western Digital icon for externals

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HazyCloud, Sep 21, 2011.

1. HazyCloud, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I can't figure out why this gauge is on my external drive. It shows it in the red, so it slightly concerns me. Can anyone help me out?

Attached Files:

2. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

what's the make / model of the drive?

it is a firewire drive so I see that icon showing it is FAST...

could the icon be stored on the drive itself (like the way windows reads disk icons)?

3. HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's a WD My Book Studio Edition for Mac. I have it plugged in via FW 800, but I just swapped it with USB 2.0 and the gauge didn't change. Have you seen this gauge in the green?

My first thought was heat, but I'm not sure. It's not even hot to the touch. I guess the icon could be on the drive. WD does have an update on their site that makes it a WD logo, but it's for Windows only.

4. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

It might merely be a new icon designed by WD to indicate that you have "turbo" drivers installed. Does the information on this page http://gigaom.com/apple/my-book-drive-turbo-hardly-the-case/ reflect your situation in any way?

Does the drive's icon on your desktop also have the gauge? If so, try changing it and see if the new icon shows up in the Time Machine preferences.

5. HazyCloud, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

HazyCloud thread starter macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You know, that may be it. I remember something about a turbo driver when I first installed the drive. I just don't remember if I installed it or not.

For anyone interested, here's a better version.

EDIT* Thank you for this. You are correct. After you mentioned this, it gave me the info I needed to do some research on it. It seems to be an issue all over WD's forums. I feel much better now. :)

EDIT2* Just wanted to update everyone. Running the WD Turbo installer and removing the firmware made the icon default back to the Mac icon. It seems the Turbo firmware update doesn't actually do much.

Attached Files: