Removing Time Machine from trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elninoheroe, May 25, 2010.

1. elninoheroe macrumors newbie

Hello Peoples,
    I accidentally put EVERYTHING (including my Time Machine backups) into the trash. And now in trying to remove them, they seem have quadrupled in size, and as I wait for 100 hours or whatever for them to be removed, I dread the hour in which I get a "No more space" prompt. Anyone know why it got bigger and how I can fix this?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The reason it seems to have gotten bigger is because of the use of hard links in the Time Machine structure, which make it appear to the computer that the same exact files exist multiple times, though Time Machine knows that they're just copies of the same. Copying them back will depend on whether it can allot the disk space the same way as originally managed.

It's possible you'll have to start your backups from scratch again. Shouldn't be a big deal though, right?

jW

3. elninoheroe thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the big deal is that I will lose about a year of backups, and I'm sure someday that will come back and bite me in the a**.
    Hey! That day just happens to be today, as I actually DO need something from the backup and can't get to it...DAMN!!!:eek:
    ...any ideas, coach?