Removing Touch screen on 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Don2, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Don2 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience removing the touch screen on a 2nd Gen without breaking the screen or the plastic frame around the screen?

I have read how to do it, and viewed the videos on how to do it, but they just don't seem to offer enough info for me to do it myself.

Just curious who out there has removed a screen themselves and how they did it without breaking the screen.

And yes I have used the "plastic tools" that everyone sells you and so far have only succeeded in messing them up.

2. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

yea the plastic tools arent that great. i saw a youtube vid of a guy taking apart his iphone 3g screen and he used a strong suction cup thing. i think that should work for the ipod touch. dont use metal screw drivers cuz you will just crack your screen

3. Don2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Suction cup is an idea if I could somehow stick the bottom side of the 2nd gen down then use a tool to loosen the connectors while pulling up on the suction cup. Sounds like I would almost need a helper.

4. Don2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still open for suggestions on how to get this 2nd gen apart without damaging the touch screen and or LCD. I have it up about 1mm on three sides but have not been able to get the Home button side up at all.

I can't really tell if I am releasing the metal clips or not as I can not see them and do not feel them either.

5. metalhead777 macrumors regular

I sure hope your warranty is expired. Otherwise you're voiding it. :D :apple:

6. Don2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for nothing Metalhead :(