Removing tracks without messing up the order (iTunes 10)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Apr 20, 2011.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Some audio book CDs contain tracks that say nothing but "CD #3 -Chapter 11 ... blah blah blah.." and are obviously of no interest when transferring to an iPod. However, if after having imported all the CDs for that book and I want to remove them (either by physically deleting those tracks or uncrossing the tick-mark in the very leftmost column) the tracks aren't re-ordered the way I was hoping for, but instead just have those deleted tracks' numbers missing.

Is there a simple way to reorder tracks so that it doesn't seem like tracks are missing?

2. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps my explanation was a little vague :confused:

Let's say the tracks imported from the CDs show up like this in iTunes, with their corresponding track numbers:

1. CD # 1 intro
    2. a song
    3. this is a song too
    4. another song
    5. CD # 2 intro
    6. yet another song
    7. a song here too
    8. and finally one more song

However, I'm not interested in keeping "CD #1 intro" and "CD #2 intro", but if I remove them (or uncheck the them by clicking on the box to the left of the list in iTunes) those track numbers just go missing, like this:

2. a song
    3. this is a song too
    4. another song
    6. yet another song
    7. a song here too
    8. and finally one more song

What I want to do is have the track numbers reordered like this, after having removed the tracks I don't want:

1. a song
    2. this is a song too
    3. another song
    4. yet another song
    5. a song here too
    6. and finally one more song

is this possible without some major hassle?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In ordering albums, there are a few things to consider. First, for all tracks of an album to sort together, there must be exactly matching data in all 4 of the following fields:
    • Album
    • Album Artist
    • Sort Album
    • Sort Album Artist
    Use the Disc # field to identify discs in a multi-CD album.

If you want to re-number the tracks, you'll either have to do that manually, or use scripts. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.